• In the Spotlight:

How do I get a 5yr. old to wear socks. She hates them.Also, getting her to wear new clothes is a struggle. Any Suggestions?

My 5 year old granddaughter hates to weare long pants. She refuses to wear a long sleeve shirt. Getting her to wear socks is like pulling teeth. Is there anyone out there having these problems? Is there anyone who has some suggestions on how to handle this? I am at the end of my rope.

HappyMawmaw

Asked by HappyMawmaw at 12:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Lol! I feel for you! Have you tried getting her a dress up doll? Or a paper doll so she can dress it? Then she can pretend to be the doll and get dressed too? Just a thought, my nephew was like that and his mom had to literally pin him down! He'd also just strip it off lol kids can be funny, but they will grow out of it! (We hope)
    luschram

Answer by luschram at 12:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

luschram

Answer by luschram at 12:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• does she have skin problems where it might hurt or irritate her? Maybe she has an allergy to the material. Will she wear tights? I have no clue what to suggest about the sleeves though. I'd call a doctor and see if she has a skin problem.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• call you ped and bring up sensory issues...is it just an independence thing (trying to gain control over something) or could she really be irritated with stuff on her skin....check out the sensory issues for sure.
    keeponkeepinon

Answer by keeponkeepinon at 12:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• my DD hates socks when she wears shoes. idk why b/c she'll wear socks w/out shoes.
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 2:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• When my son was that age he had big issues with certain clothing also. It turned out that he simply hated the feeling of some clothing against his skin. He would only wear socks if the seam on the toe was sewn a certain way so that it didn't rub against his skin wrong. And he refused to wear jeans for about 2 years. He wore soft cotton sweat pants in the winter and shorts in the summer. It could simply be that your daughter is sensitive to certain textures.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I always had allot of clothing preference probems with my child and I still do. She's 14 now and she still hates sox and prefers fip fops. We also spend allot of money on expensive clothes but she often wears sports sweatpants and t-shirts. I do draw the line at wearing a coat and other winter articles when it's really cold outside. There is often still an arguement about it.

I learned early on to pick my battles and to work around issues like this.

This is how i solved the sock problem, good selection of fip flops in the warm weather and clogs in the colder weather. She'll only resort to sox when she must wear sneakers or is forced to wear boots.

I think she for some reason she finds socks and long sleeves hot or confining for some reason. I can assure you no harm has come to her as a result of not wearing sox or long sleeves allot of the time.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 7:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Maybe this is too obvious, but maybe it's just an independence/ control thing. Have you tried laying out 3 or 4 pairs and saying, "Which pair would you like to wear today?"

Two of my kids loved the crazy, colorful socks when they were toddlers and loved choosing them each morning. One child wanted to wear mismatched socks. I let her. There are more imporatant fish to fry.

Good Luck.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 8:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my 12 yr old is exactly the same way. I let him pick our his sox (always the no show ones even in the cold and snowy PA Winters. I can't get him wear a jacket either, but at least if I let him choose his own sox, no matter how much I hate them, he will wear them. It worked for me, it may work for you. If you take her to get some inexpensive new sneekers, maybe she will see some funky sox she likes
    Dianne1259

Answer by Dianne1259 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• One of my best friends daughters had big issues with socks. It turned out to be a sensory thing she couldn't stand the seams on the socks and how they felt on her toes. Someone else mentioned that she may have sensory issues. I would check this out with her doctor or do some research on the web. With my daughters friend we turned the socks inside out so that the seams were not touching her toes and she did much better. Just a thought.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 8:52 AM on Oct. 29, 2008