how do you help a 1 year old with constipation?

My son who turned 1 in September has constipation, we have changed his diet but still he is constipated. It is painful for him and I was wondering what other mothers did to help their little ones. I was thinking of giving him some benefiber but I was wondering if anyone else has done this? does it help?

youngmum

Asked by youngmum at 12:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• prune juice worked for me
    eternaldeamer

Answer by eternaldeamer at 12:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• had this problem recently the doc said they can go two or three days without a bowel movement yea well they don't have to see the discomfort the poor babies go through he told me warm apple juice and i was allowed to give her milk of magnesia he said two table spoons but i gaave her one it took a while but if you want to see some poop it works try the warm apple juice first or try a couple ounces of water with a dollop of dark karo syrup if that doesn't work go with th milk of magnesia hope it works i know what you are going through
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• You could try apple cider. I gave that to my daughter once and you would think i fed her a bomb. It was the messiest thing ever! It deffinately broke the flood gates. This isn't a long time fix but it might work if he is in pain. Is he getting too much iron? That could be causing the problem?
    tinaaly

Answer by tinaaly at 1:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i would try full strength juice and cola works
    shaynaj

Answer by shaynaj at 2:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Prune Juice worked for my daughter as well.
    TaylorBuz

Answer by TaylorBuz at 3:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• we have always had this prob with our daughter and still do. she is 15 months.
    we give her 2-3 tablespoons of kayro syrup in her milk 1 to 2 times a day.
    it really helps her having a bowel movement. i give it to her in the morning first
    bottle and afternoon milk. try it, it did wonders for us!
    thanks Dana
    Kaileysmom34

Answer by Kaileysmom34 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I had the same problem with my daughter when she turned one. Now she is 2 yrs and 4mos and she still has trouble going. When it started she would go days then finally push it out with a lot of pain and sometimes blood. She was put on a stool softener that didnt help at all...then put on mirolax. The mirolax def made her go....too much. I had to mess w/the dosage until it was ok. It was a NIGHTMARE...for both of us. Now she only takes the med very rarely. She has trouble going, but she can go and it doesnt hurt her..it is just really hard. Hope this helps...hopefully your situation doesnt get as bad..its been a long road.
    kyru2

Answer by kyru2 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My grandmother always tells me to put sugar in there milk and it should soften it. She does it with my niece and believe it or not it works for them
    SarahP1008

Answer by SarahP1008 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2008