how do expalin to my younger sister that being a mom is a full time job??

to her benfit she is 18 and i dont work fulll time right now she does .

we both still at home with mom.

she wont do any of the dishes and wont even pick up after self she says since i dont work aand go to school i should be the one doin gon the cleaing

arena234

Asked by arena234 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• You CANT teach her. She will have to learn on her own, Being 18 and immautre, its just going to be a unending argument that will just cause anger and stress, I would just leave it being. Coming from the oldest of 8, I learned quick about picking my fights, there are some that just arent worth it, you have to ignore thier absolutly ignorant ideas and look over it. With one of my sisters (that knows everything and how everyone needs to live) Ignoring her or just nodding my head tends to make the conversation end quickly and painlessly. Dont worry about what she thinks she knows, you know how it is and your parents do to. If anything is should be your parents to intervene that child, not you.
    ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 11:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Her working doesn't make you the maid. If she's capable of making a mess, she's capable of cleaning up. You should all be responsible for yourselves.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• well I was the younger sister ot one point. I think the only way to really get her to understand is to wait till she is a mother. you could always tell her to babysit your child from the time they wake up to the time they go to bed. I dont know how much that will help.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• If you are both still at home w/ mom why doesn't she step in? After all it's her house and I'm sure you two bickering can't be pleasant for anyone. I agree she should at least pick up after herself, you are her sister not her personal slave. It's not her fault you have a child and she doesn't but that doesn't mean you are the maid, although I do think if she works and goes to school you should be doing the majority if you are home. Even if you have a baby.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• While working at a "job" full-time or parenting full-time, it doesn't mean one is more responsible than the other for household chores. You should both have an equal share in helping to cover the communal chores (dishes, vaccuuming, bathroom, etc.). As a parent, you should be repsonsible for a little extra due to the extra clean-up required for a child (toys, laundry, diapers, etc.). Realistically, as an adult, she's old enough and should be responsible enough to at least clean-up after herself.
    newmommy0409

Answer by newmommy0409 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• i think everyone should take care of their own crap and split the shared stuff. it's not about whether or not you're working just as hard or not - you're both adults and need to be responsible for yourselves instead of having petty arguments. it's your MOM's house - surely SHE has an opinion?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Until she starts to pay for your bills you don't owe her shit.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:51 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think whoever is home should be doing the majority.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Do what i did... My brother is living with us as my parents have kicked him out. He told our mutual friend that i did NOTHING all day. So when I came home I said, "I hear you have been running your mouth about me, guess what Heidi is all yours today." He had to do everything. He lasted about four hours before he couldn't take it any more. LOL
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 11:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I know you are not going to like my answer but part of being a stay at home mom, which you are is doing the dishes and cleaning. Your sister has a point. Maybe she is being rude about it, but if you were married and a stay at home mom your husband would expect you to do the dishes too. I go to school full time and mom, my husband is the one who works full time. Since I am home more than he is, that generally means I make more dishes anyway. Why don't you ask your mom's opinion on the matter since it is her house.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:03 AM on Oct. 18, 2010