I am breast feeding my ten month old, when is a good time to stop?

EliasMommyDec09

Asked by EliasMommyDec09 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The WHO recommends:

"Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond."
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• When he doesn't need it any more. Most health organizations suggest a MINIMUM of 2 yrs.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Anyone who thinks that you feeding and nurturing your baby is gross, is ignorant!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• don't let anyone tell you its gross.. they are just angry because their mothers didn't care enough to breast feed them
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 11:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• If you haven't read it yet I highly recommend you take a look at Breastfeeding Past Infancy: Fact Sheet

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I ditto the first two answers
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• When do YOU want to stop?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 10:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You do whats best for you and your baby. Its recommeded to bf to at least 2 years, like all the others have already pointed out.

I hear the same thing often....that it is gross....but I dont care, because I am the educated one here. I have been bf my ds for 15 months now and will stop once he either self weans or hits the 2 year mark. Which ever comes first.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 11:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I breastfed my oldest for one year and nine months, I stopped because his brother was born, I didn't want to tandem nurse. Unfortunately I could not breastfeed my second because he has a milk protein allergy so the dairy in my diet literally tore up his stomach up and he was pooping blood clots. But any other babies I have in the future, I will breast feed until two years. Thats my plan with all my kids. Unless medically I can't. I would have zero problem tandem nursing if I had twins (obviously) or two babies in one year. But I did not tandem nurse with these two because my oldest was two and I thought it would be easier to cut him off a little early than to have him try to nurse when hes three and four because his brother would be nursing, you know? lol
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• around 2 years
    jonathansmom606

Answer by jonathansmom606 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2010