Pregnancy after Preemie

Hey ladies, I just found out im pregnant! Has anyone out there had a successful full term birth (or close to it) after a preemie?

I've been researching this like crazy since my sonwas born at 23 weeks and trying to find anything I could do the next time to try to prevent it again or at least get farther along. They don't know what caused me to go into labor prematurely, they are pretty sure it wasnt Incompetent Cervix (but I was already 8 cm dialated when I got there and so I dont know how they can know for sure that wasnt it).

From what I've researched what Im going into my appt with to prpose to my Dr is:

*Weekly 17p (progesterone) shots from weeks 16-36.

*FFN testing atarting at maybe 21, 22 weeks

*Transvaginal ultrasounds starting pretty early on to monitor my cervical length

*Cerclage (only if absolutely necessary)

Im trying to see if there is anything else out there that would be helpful

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well I one full term child but what I have studied is that a women that has a premature birth the first time is not garenteed to have one again unless something is causeing it. GL i think what you ar proposing is good.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I was on the progesterone shot to prevent miscarriage and had it once a week til I was 12wks. I'm 25wks now and doing good. I know another lady who was on the shot til 36wks. She had her baby at 38wks. I would bring up all of your concerns to your ob. Good luck :)
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 11:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• well my son was 1month early and then i got preg again 2years later and my doctor was worried i would have my daughter early too. well i did have her early she was 3months early. and he said if i was to have another baby it could come even earlier so there is a good chance of your 2nd baby coming early but maybe youll get lucky and not have the baby early,,,,,,,it depends on your body and if they baby is trying to come to early..i hope it all works out for you ,,,, it does suck having a baby early you dont get that close bond that you would get if you went to full term and the long hours in the hospital suck to so hang in there and just relax and dont worry if ya go early the doctors know what to do to keep your little one safe...........
    mamamtobe

Answer by mamamtobe at 11:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• congrats on your pregnancy! this topic is of interest to me too since i had a preemie at 33 weeks and i have no idea why. my first child was born at 41 weeks, so my midwife said that it's really hard to tell if i am at risk for another preemie or not. if i ever have another, i'm not sure what i would do. i have read up on the progesterone, both shots and creams, so i'll have to consider those.

one thing i wanted to comment on is the ultrasounds. some claim that frequent ultrasounds can lead to preterm labor/birth. of course, you would have to research that and weight the risks and benefits, it could be that in your situation the risks of the u/s are outweighed by the potential benefits.

also aspartame in diet drinks and other foods can increase your risk of preterm labor, so you might want to limit that as much as possible. :)

GOOD LUCK!!!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Congrats yes i had a full term after a preemie and in fact am preggo again turned 33 weeks yesterday!
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 2:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2010