Rent or own

Do you think it is better to rent a house or apartment or own it?
I am finding more advantages in renting a place than owning a house and worrying about maintenance, taxes, city regulations etc. in this economy.

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 11:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• i like lease to own...but i want to own my own house
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Ownership is so much better.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I rent. I am just too busy and not at all mature enough to own yet. I haven't decided what state I want to settle down in yet either. I move every year.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• its better to have your own place...for me I'm renting and the apartments that I live in wont allow you to paint the rooms or to have nails in the walls...
    Espinosa

Answer by Espinosa at 11:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I asked the question because in my case I have severe depression and I get overwhelmed so easily it's not funny. We have had a house before and lost it to foreclosure when the economy started going down the drain.
    I am now separated and I found a beautiful apartment with the help of local agency which helps people like me.
    My soon to be ex owns a house but he has outrageous payments, he agreed to them to avoid another foreclosure.
    This is all too much for me.
    Espinosa, I agree, it sucks that you cannot paint or put a nail in any wall.
    I am going to try to decorate the place somehow without having to do anything permanent like that, I am pretty good at planning and decorating interiors. Hopefully it will look like a really nice, cozy home.
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I agree 100%! I have always rented, and have no desire to own for all the reasons you stated originally. I do hate apartment complexes, though....never know what you'll get for neighbors or even what your place will look like til it's too late. I only rent single family homes or duplexes, at the most. I couldn't be happier with that decision. Who needs all those extra headaches??
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 12:03 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• after seeing what my mom went through with her house - replacing the roof from hail damage, the entire floor warped because the dryer vents were improperly installed and caused moisture under the house, etc., etc and then my sister's entire house having to be done from the ground up to four feet high due to flooding, as well as the costly foundation repairs, termite extermination, and AC repairs my landlord has done... i'm okay renting.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• caveat - i live in a single house for a great deal. we have painted every single room but one and will have to paint it all back to white when we leave but i've been here five years already no rush. apartments are a hassle. if i had to live in one again i might feel differently.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree about the complexes, they are like a box of chocolates, you never know whatcha gonna get, lol.
    My place is 2 story house, and I only have an elderly, sweet couple with a doggie downstairs.
    My place is huge, clean and well maintain and I even can spend lovely summer evenings on a porch, quite large, grill and maybe hang some plants, like those thingies with tomato plants.
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• For me, I prefer to own because I like things my way. I want to paint and add to, remodel ect. I love change. However this also means that we move alot (because of our love of change) and so Owning is hard because of that.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:37 AM on Oct. 18, 2010