Should I host Thanksgiving?

We hosted it last year because no one else did (in our tiny two bedroom house), and this year it seems the same deal is starting to happen. But this year, we moved to a new house and I'm not sure if I'm ready to have that many members of my family and his family here. Though I know they are expecting it. They know I like to play "Donna Reed" LOL. But we've only been here 2 1/2 months and I really don't have it all together just yet. Besides, I don't think we'll have the money to do it.

My MIL and my own mother have been fishing for me to do it for a while. I'm starting to feel guilty...I'm sure if it's not me, there will be no Thanksgiving. What would you do?

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 11:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Holidays

• Just have your own thanksgiving with just your little family. Don't host a big one again.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You can always do a, "bring your own dish" party. You cook Mr Tom and everyone brings their favortie dish. That would be so much easier on you Donna Reed,,lol
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I would do it and have everyone who will be there to buy something or cook something all the adult who will attend can bring somethong so it's not all on you and you husband....
    Ladypurple

Answer by Ladypurple at 11:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You could have like a potluck thanksgiving..everybody brings a dish so it's not all on you and them just invading your house.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 11:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Host it and ask what everyone is bring so that you can fill in the piece, if two people what to do the same thing ask them to do something different. My family has done this for years.
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 7:50 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I love BeyondHopes answer!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Five years ago I was in exactly the same position, and we opted to do the turkey & trimmings and my usual dessert, and have others pot luck the balance of the meal. It worked pretty well, but now it is assumed that we will host every Thanksgiving. Our family group ranges from 13 - 22. It is a bit of a burden at times, but the day after has become one of my favorite days of the year. The house is always spotless and nicely decorated, and we have a mountain of left-overs. I guess it's a pretty good trade.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 9:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Maybe have it at your home but have everyone bring a side dish so it's not so expensive.Then all you have to do is get the house ready and make the turkey. But I would ask everyone what they were bringing so you don't get 6 green bean casseroles or you don't miss something like desert.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 4:30 AM on Oct. 19, 2010