• In the Spotlight:

How do I lose my mummy tummy?

I have lost the weight from pregnancy, but I still have fat around the middle and I don't know how to get rid of it cuz nothing I do seems to work... any tips?

FACMom

Asked by FACMom at 12:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I have the same problem, I have heard that if you are stressed it can cause you to gain and store fat around the middle of your body. I know that is my problem because I am stressed all the time!!...LOL
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• “In order for your muscles to use stored fat to fuel muscular activities, oxygen must be present at the site of the muscle. Unlike glycogen, which is the form in which your body suspends sugars, fat cannot be broken down in the absence of oxygen, Therefore the more efficient your body becomes at taking in, transporting and delivering oxygen, the grater will be your ability to burn up any excess fat. Getting out of breath when you exercise is a sign that you are unable to provide your muscles with sufficient oxygen for them to work aerobically.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• When this occurs, your muscles will be relying on the breakdown of sugars (glycogen), and an organic compound called creatine phosphate, rather than using fat to supply their fuel needs. Exercising as intensely as you can, therefore, is not the best approach for fat burning. Adopting an intensity that you can sustain for an extended duration is far more effective. Walking briskly for an hour will result in far greater fat combustion than ten minutes of all-out effort
    keyaziz

• Also eat lots of fruit before meals.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• wow. that was VERY helpful info from the recent sponse. lol. i did not know that. and here i am losing breath trying to keep up with hip hop abs. lol
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 5:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• There is no way to target weight loss to a specific area of the body because your body decides where it wants to put on weight and where it wants to take it off. The midsection is a common "problem" area for many people.

The best way to lose fat is through cardiovascular exercise. It is important to do a variety of abdominal exercises (including crunches) to keep your core strong, but until that excess fat is gone, you will not see the muscle definition. So if you’re not doing cardio, crunches are not going to help get the six-pack you’ve been hoping for. Regular cardio exercise at a level that’s challenging for you is your best bet.
    VitalityGal

Answer by VitalityGal at 10:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Thanks for the advice ladies
    FACMom

Answer by FACMom at 9:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I have been using the ab lounge and doing ab crunches!! I do not do it everyday as I wish I did, but I have noticed a big difference in my belly as I have an 17 mth baby! Fruit is deff the way to go!!!! Lots of water through out the day , Water is the basis of all life and that includes your body. Your muscles that moves you body are 75% water; your blood that transport nutrients is 82% water; your lungs that provide your oxygen are 90% water; your brain that is the control center of your body is 76% water; even your bones are 25% water.

Our health is truly dependent on the quality and quantity of the water we drink.

So drink lots of water, eat lots of fruit and do ab crunches. Check out youtube.com for more exercises.
    determind

Answer by determind at 12:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Get a tummy tuck. If you are back to your pre-pregnancy weight and you still have a bulge in you stomach, it's most likely because your abs seperated because of pregnancy. That's what the tummy tuck does, they pull you abs back together and stich em, then pull your skin back down over them, leaving extra skin that they cut off. Then cut you a new belly button. And that flat tummy is back, not to mention any stretchmarks you may have had below the belly button will be gone!!
    DanaLamborn

Answer by DanaLamborn at 10:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2008