finding a deceast grandparent... not sure what category to even put this in either

Hi.. i have no where to start an ive searched everywhere.. but maybe someone has done this before =/

I am looking for my grandpa.. all i know is hes seminole (native american) and his birthday is may 19 .. thats literally it. I dont know how to go about looking for him do i start with the seminole nation page? or what

has anyone ever done this? is it the same for all people or is it different for native americans since we are a tribe? so many questions :( sorry ladies. any help or ideas will be helpful.

akalei

Asked by akalei at 11:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Now I wish I had paid more attention to the way my mom did research, she's a geneologist and she knows how to find people almost anywhere (although there is one dead relative that she can't find records on). I think one of her back up resources is Ancesetry.com (spelling may be wrong) if there's any way you can find out where he was born, or where he died for that matter, you can get birth and death records. I think that you can sometimes check old census records if you know where he was living. But then again, I'm not the geneologist and most of this is a guess, but good luck anyway!
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 11:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• thank you so much!! i never thought about a birth or death record!!
    akalei

Comment by akalei (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• If you know his full name, try Googling...I found my great grandpa. He was in Michigan and mentioned in a graduating class in law school in 1850,approximately. Or Ancestors....try at Google.
    Deceased relatives can be found at the LDS sites too. Or try at your Library.They can find websites for you.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I do genealogy - I don't have a subscription right now, but if you find a group on CM geared toward family tree research (and there is probably one for Native American genealogy in particular) I bet you'll find someone that has a subscription (to ancestry or other site) that will gladly help you. If he had an SSN, you can search the SSDI (social security death index) free on rootsweb.com. In the advanced options you can specify the birth date if he had a name that comes up with alot of records. There are other free resources too many to name. If I can help in any way, PM me his full name, birth date (year if known), death date (approximate helps) and birth and death place (again, approximate helps). I'm not sure how far I can get - people with subscriptions may be more helpful but I can try.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2010