Getting frustrated with my 3 month old puppy!

Am I expecting too much from a 3 month old dog? He's still making mistakes in the house. We go through days and he's fine, but then it will happen twice in a day. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I take him outside but i think I'm missing the cues.
Right now I find myself either following him around the house when he's awake or cleaning up something.

Designermm80

Asked by Designermm80 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Pets

• You are expecting WAY too much. How old was this puppy when you got him? I read somewhere- don't know where now- that they don't have full bladder control until six or so months depending on the breed. Do NOT leave him unattended in the house. You should not be the one following him. Keep him with you, on a leash if need be. Set him up for success. Watch him and don't give him the chance to have an accident if possible.
    RammerJammer

Answer by RammerJammer at 12:37 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Something else you can do. Check to see how long after he drinks/ eats will he go potty. Its usually within 15 - 20 minutes. Plan on taking him outside. You can stand at the door with him and, I know this may sould silly, but bark, then open the door to take him out. You see, you are its mommy. Its going to follow your lead. This way, once that light bulb goes off in your baby's head, he'll let you know by barking its time. Then you can put away the stop watch and start watching your favorite show! LOL Hope this helped.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 6:03 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• 2 of my dogs will come grab my hand when they need to go out. My lab will come stare at me. My yorkie used to jump in my lap all excited. I always ask them if they need to go out. They get excited so I know that is yes. Use consistent phrases & she'll learn what each one means.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• They say for every month, that's how long they can hold their bladders +1. (This is for bigger dogs... for smaller dogs it's without the +1) so he should only be holding it for 4 hours.. but you really shouldn't make him hold it that long.

He should be with you at all times. If you can't have him with you, he needs to be in a crate or a confined space. Crates work best because Dogs will not go potty where they sleep unless you keep them in there for WAY too long.

Being consistent is key too. Set a timer. You can also hang a bell from the door knob low enough that he can reach it. EVERY time you go out to go potty, say in a happy voice "Let's Go Potty!" and ring the bell. Then open the door. Soon he'll know that to go outside to go potty, he needs to ring the bell. Also, to get him to associate "lets go potty" to doing the deed, when he starts to go pee, again say "lets go potty!" in a happy voice every time he goes.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 2:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i have one and you are responsible if they have an accident_ stinks but true>> they give cues but if you delay or ignore they have an accident> what i do to make it easier>>>out first thing< eat>>play or chill>out around 8300-9pm then good till 6 or so...if she plays even for !% mins we take her out...if she eats usually within an hour out-if she has been apping out she goes...this morning she went in the house because i rushed her for first outing_ i wanted coffee_she whined and i said in a minute she whined again by the door_ i started to get my shoes but it was too late...my fault as
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You are expecting a lot. My 4 year old dog still makes as you called them, mistakes in the house. It was my fault...she was sitting at the drawer where her leash is...I was running late for an appointment...but my 5 month old still makes uh-ohs but he is smaller and well has a smaller bladder. Someone else said it, some dogs don't have full bladder control until about 6 months. Some, it takes a year or a little longer for them to "get" it since they cannot rationalize that we humans.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• All dogs are different too. Our first dog was house broken in about 3 weeks. Now, we have 2 puppies, the older one is 6 months and rarely has an accident, the younger one is 4 months and we're still working on it. Some days are better than others. I have noticed they will go all day with no accidents, when it's just me and them at home. In the later afternoon, when son and hubby come home, that is when the accidents happen. My fault!!! I'm busy taking care of hubby and son and am not watching as closley as I should be.Give the pup time, he's still a baby, he'll get it!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 5:14 AM on Oct. 19, 2010