Do you think that the government is rewarding prisoners?

Think about this and tell me what you think. Someone commits serious crimes and in jail they live better than some people out struggling to survive. In prison they have recreation rooms, cable television, three meals a day ( heck some people try to get by on one or two). Now I am not saying that prison is a luxury but I think they have way too much for hurting others, robbing, rape and murder. What is your take on this?

Cheveyo1

Asked by Cheveyo1 at 1:01 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I do. Prisoners should have adequate food, adequate shelter, adequate medical care, and safety. That's it. No rec rooms. No TVs, radios, weight rooms, basketball courts. Their entertainment should be reading. If they need to learn to read, they can be taught. I think that earning a GED is good and should be encouraged, but earning a college degree or more on the government dime is out. For exercise, those prisoners who have earned it for good behavior should work in the gardens to provide food for the prison. Seeds are cheaper than vegetables and fruit are, so there's a money-saver, too. Their medical care should be enough to sustain life but nothing elective. Prison should be a place they don't want to be. It's supposed to be punishment. Make it punishment.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No, they should not have any luxuries to indulge in. They also should be made to work. Our roads could be clean and planted with nice flowers for the summer. Our state parks could be kept up and maintained. Many of our government buildings that need more maintaining could be done by the lesser evil. Vehicles owned by the prison system, the state and county could be maintained by the prisoners. Gardens could and should be planted to help with the cost of feeding them. Teach them a skill. Give them an education but make them work to earn these things. If they owe child support, make them work for it and send the money to the family instead of the prisoner's account for goodies. They are in prison. Not on an extended vacation.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No. I do not thnk the government (state or federal) rewards prisioners or people that commit crimes. I also do not believe that we as a society provide people with Help to change their behavior. We also don't offer support or help to their children, who have a higher chance or repeating the crime/jail pattern their parents have shown them.
    yarngoddess57

Answer by yarngoddess57 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• no, i don't. They spend their days in a walled room with almost nothing to do, its amazing they don't go insane. Its not rehabilitation, its just getting them out of the way (which is fine, just stop thinking jail is teaching them a lesson, cuz I don't think it is)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:21 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• no i don't think they are "rewarding" prisoners. Prisoners should have food and shelter otherwise we would be a third world country. I do think they shouldn't have rec rooms, tv and a college education without paying for it.
    Merrydish78

Answer by Merrydish78 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Considering there is a constant threat of assault, rape, being murdered in prison, no. I do not think they are rewarded.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:53 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Not so much rewarded, but, they do get excellent medical care/surgeries. My dad was a CO here, and escorted many of the prisoners to Duke Medical Center for their surgeries. Sickening. They got very good medical care. Why Duke? Did they really need to go there?
    Do I care if they have a constant threat of being stabbed or raped? Not really. Especially not if they are in for that themselves.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• NO I dont, they have lost their freedom. And if the prison didnt treat them like that they would be considered inhumane
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 8:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2010