do you think i'm pushin it

my daughter will be a year old in 8 days (i forgot how exciting first birthdays are) but any ways i bought her a potty chair and i try to put her on it three or four times a day around the same time every day does anyone think i am doing this too soon i am also trying to ween her from the bottle the only time she has it is for her naps and at bedtime am i trying to do to many things with her at once

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its not too soon. I was potty trained before 18 months too and so were my siblings. Every child is different but if she is taking her diaper off and wants changed afetr she pees then it's time. I'm training my 2 year old right now and the cool alert pull ups are actually working great. She'll pee a lot and stop to finish in the potty. And defintly a good age to stop using a bottle. You're doing great
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 12:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• IMO it's too soon. She needs to be able to "hold it" and also tell you before she goes in her diaper.
    Anonymous

• well my dad started potty training me at 1 year and by 18mos i was fully potty trained and never had any at night accidents. ill probably start with my DD around 1 year...when she is redy she will do it so dont get frustrated but its worth a shot!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 12:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• the reason i started the potty cuz as soon as she goes she wants changed and if she poops if you dont change her like right now she will try to take her diaper off
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Don't do the potty chair, you are trying to rush her with this. Trust me, they will not potty train until they are ready to- I worked with my oldest for over a year and a half to get her to potty train and she didn't decide to do it on her own till she was a month away from 3 years old. I know diapers can be a pain sometimes, but you don't want to go through the aggrivation of this if she isn't physically and mentally ready. Now, you are okay with the bottle situation. I had my oldest off the bottle right at 12 months and my youngest was 14 months, but they were ready to give the bottle up. Get some cute sippy cups that attract your childs attention and the transition should go smoother. Good luck!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• One step at a time....you can't potty train and pull her comfort away from her. SLOW down and enjoy her......

My daughter was potty trained at 18 months but on her own good will.
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 12:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would try taking the bottle away first. Then potty train once that is establish. doing too much at a time will only backfire. I feel a year old is too young to potty train ,but I have heard some babies can be. Put tape around her diaper on the tabs in the meantime, so it isn't so easy to take off. we had to do the with our oldest because she didn't quite get potty training, but wouldn't keep her diaper on. Goodluck!
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 1:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• There's a school of potty training called Elimination Communication. She's too young to be potty trained, but with EC you can train yourself to recognize her elimination cues. Research it if you're really interested (google), I know people who use it and it does work for them. As for the bottle, sounds like you're doing fine if she's down to just one or two a day and she's not quite a year old yet.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 1:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Bottle is fine, but it is early for potty training. However, I did the same thing. I bought a potty at one year and introduced it. I let her play with it for a month or two. Then I started sitting her on it with clothes. Now at 17 months, I put her on the potty just once a day before baths so she can try. The rest of the time, if I go potty she goes with me and sits on her chair and watches. Last night she went potty before her bath all by herself! So cute. So, yes, good way to introduce the potty but don't expect results soon.
    Anonymous

• If she's acting as if she is uncomfortable in a dirty diaper, and wants it off like you said, then it is not too early. She realizes "Hey, I don't like this" and you can teach her now how to keep it from happening. Good luck!!
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 1:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2008