Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

My husband left home because mental problems and left me and my child with unpaid bills and no support for child.

He left because he was very mentally unstable. He went and had someone else have power of attorney over him. He left us with unpaid bills like electric bill and etc that he paid while in household, keep asking he to pay but so far they haven't been paid and we are in jeporady of losing our power. He has since committed himself and I know he recieves $800 plus working under table money from guy who is his power attorney. I am on short term disability and have little money to for me and my child. He is not renting just live at shop were works. Since he is in mental institution shouldn't guy with power of attorney be able to give us money to support his child. Desparate for advice!!!!

Answer Question

Asked by Philly13 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Wow Im sorry that you & your child are going through this, dnt take this in a wrong way but maybe it was better fro him to have left.You and your child deserve better than that, now i would definatly file for child support& let the judge decide if he or his power of attorney have to pay.Gl.

    Answer by gabby06 at 1:23 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • Yes I know he have to pay some kinda support but he left us with bills he said he would pay and he didn't should I talk to power of attornery for him and tell him these bills need to be payed now are we will be sitting in house in dark , these where bills that were here when he was in househhold just trying to find out my legal rights and don't have money for attorney to help me!

    Comment by Philly13 (original poster) at 1:32 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • I definitely think this warrants a call to an attorney! I dont think you can force anyone to pay your bills BUT maybe go after him for child support? That of course would take some time so you will have no choice but to try to figure somehting out in the mean time.
    If a man walked away from his family tomorrow his wife wouldnt be able to make him pay the bills ..... i dont think this situation would be any different so I would file for child support asap!
    You can check into local churches, the salvation army your local des office etc. for emergency help until you figure the rest out.

    Answer by SnoBuny at 2:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • Ok, now that there has been a change in your household, you should report that change to your social worker. this might qualify you for an increase in your monthly check. also, go to your welfare department and file for emergency aid. tell them what happend and tell ask for emergency food and money for your child. because you receive disablity, you might not receive money but your child could if qualified. also, for now, until you can pay your pg&E, can you stay with a friend or family? here in california, i know that the Salvation army helps pay off 50% of the bill. call them.

    Answer by alejandra559 at 4:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • 50% of the electric bill

    Answer by alejandra559 at 4:01 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.