Does or has anyone had a toddler vomit because they are upset?

My son who is two and a half sometimes vomits when he gets too upset. I don't know what to do. At all. I talked to the doctor, and it was kinda useless. She said well sometimes kids do that, some more than others and some not at all. Great thanks I got that. haha I try to calm him down but once he gets so upset he just pukes up everything in his stomach. And I feel so bad. Its usually when he is getting disciplined. (not every time, not even close. But when it DOES happen this is why) But I can't NOT discipline him. Do I just ignore it, clean it, and try to calm him? I really see no more option. But maybe someone else has done this before? And has advise? Please?

Amelia512

Asked by Amelia512 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Actually, I used to do this. I still vomit if I get upset enough.
    If you see him starting to get upset, have him take some long, deep breathes. Talk to him a soft voice. This might help calm him down.
    There really isn't anything to stop it. You do need to keep disciplining him. While it sucks, you might just have to clean up the after math if he gets that upset.
    My mom learned to keep me away from watching TV specials on When the World Would End and stuff like that.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:01 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My oldest went through the same thing. She would cry, scream holy terror, hold her breath, turn red, then puke... I never found a solution to the problem, but it eventually stopped. Kids that age tend to get really frustrated when they can't properly convey their feelings and end up getting so upset they lose it. Don't worry yet, just keep a clean set of clothes and plenty of wipes handy. Sorry I couldn't give you a proven antedote.
    Robsessed98

Answer by Robsessed98 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My boys are 3 and they just started doing. Its only when they are getting into trouble. I do take there close off and there covers but i do try to make them wipe them selfs off. Of course mama goes back and helps them making sure they get it all.
    they dont do it often since they have to clean themself up
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:01 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My daughter used to do that but then she just stopped. i think its pretty normal, maybe when he gets punished u can take his clothes off so he doesn't mess them up? idk
    Merrydish78

Answer by Merrydish78 at 8:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My 2yr old does this, too.
    Always when he's upset.

I agree with Robsessed98, above.
    They just get frustrated at the lack of communication ability,
    and this is the result. Hopefully, in a few years, when he learns
    to express himself more, this will stop.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 8:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Thanks everyone. =)
    Amelia512

Comment by Amelia512 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2010