I have a yeast infection of the nipples and am forced to wean my 1 month old due to so much pain..I cant even pump right now...how do I cope with engorement? How long will I stay this way?

LINDO23

Asked by LINDO23 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried taking acidopholus? It can help clear up thrush. Which is what you've got. You can also give it to your baby. And a nipple shield will help with the pain. Don't wean if you don't want to. There are ways around this.

If you DO decide to wean, you can use cold cabbage leaves in your bra against your breasts to help dry up the milk. Also sudafed will dry it up, but I would not suggest doing this consistantly.
    Anonymous

• OMG i went through this!
    it is so painful, i had to quit cold turkey i couldnt pump and i couldnt let hym latch on, it hurt!
    the engorment got so bad i just laid in the shower and let the m milk run out, the warmth helps.. peopl say cabbage helps but i didnt do it!
    hope it goes ok, if u want to kno more abt my experience mmsg me
    LANDENSmamii

Answer by LANDENSmamii at 3:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• thrush is a mouth infection. Contact the maternity ward or your local hospital and talk with the lactation consultant. You could also talk to your gynocologist about what could be best. And please always check double check the advice you get. Some people are less than intelligent and pretend they know what they are talking about but don't. Call 1-877-4-LALECHE.
    These are women who are dedicated to nothing but helping mothers breast feed their children they know everything there is to know about breastfeeding!
    akitanay

Answer by akitanay at 5:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• i havent read everyones answers so i dont know if its in here or not but have you tried to release the milk by doing it by hand into a bottle or cup i know it may sound weird or gross but it might be a good way to get rid of some of the pain
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 9:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I had that and the only thing that worked is something called GENTIAN VIOLET. You should be able to find it over the counter in any pharmacy. It is dark violet, and you put it on your nipples I believe 2 or 3 times a day. It is totally harmless to the baby. You should also put some in his/her mouth. IT STAINS, so be careful. Believe me, this helps. After 3 days you will feel MUCH better. Let me know if it helps. I know what you are going through... If you can't find it, I could mail it to you.
    NatiVida

Answer by NatiVida at 11:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2008