Anyone try or go to an online college

I'm going to be starting at an online college.... I'm a little nervous and do not know what to expect.

lilma0608

Asked by lilma0608 at 2:21 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, I just started studying psychology online in September and am absolutely loving it. The only trick is finding the time to study without the constant interruption of the kids, but it works! I haven't been in a classroom for 20 years, and am surprised at how easy it is to get back in the study habit and I had forgotten how rewarding it is to receive A's on all papers! I say go for it!!!
    Robsessed98

Answer by Robsessed98 at 2:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm working on my Masters degree online. It's difficult to find the motivation and sometimes I really wish I had as instructor to talk to if I have questions, or to be able to raise my hand during a lecture but it's not to bad. It does work around my schedule tho which is a positive.
    ValerieRNmom

Answer by ValerieRNmom at 2:33 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i do its not bad i thought it would be but i start about 3 months ago and it had been great im doing really well
    bball34gurl4

Answer by bball34gurl4 at 2:23 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I go to university of phoenix I love it one day of class the rest of the time on line and on my own time. GL What are you going for and what school.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Oh i started a little over 6 wks ago and i have my 1st final tomorrow. i have one class at a time so i dont have to juggle all subjects at once. which i havent been in school since 06' so its great for me
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:25 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• What are the classes like? What schools are you attending? and what kind of a schedule do you have to keep?
    lilma0608

Comment by lilma0608 (original poster) at 2:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Some classes there are just readings with message board postings and tests while others have lectures I have to watch in combination with assignments and tests. I'm an RN on night shift so I work 12hr shifts. On my off days I try to study and do lectures and then if work is slow I try to review my notes or do some reading. I attend University of Cincinnatti.
    ValerieRNmom

Answer by ValerieRNmom at 3:08 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i'm going to ashford university, been going since january. they are five-week courses, one at a time, and they can be pretty stimulating.
    you just have to find a routine that works for you. for me, i have my first night of homework due on thursday, so i try to get it done by then. my hubby likes playing volleyball on that night, so i often have time to do it then. you just have to settle into a routine that fits into your life, and STICK WITH YOUR GOALS. it is VERY easy to get side-tracked, and lazy. i find if i log into cafemom first, i won't have the motivation to "go" to class. so i take care of my schoolwork first, and as a "reward", i get to go on cm or fb. otherwise i just stall.
    i hope that helps a little. feel free to pm me.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 3:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I went to the local college, but online classes. It comes out to costing about half as much, has more legitimate financial aid available, and it's guaranteed accredited. More and more those online places are giving degrees that aren't accepted everywhere. You can check here: http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/

For me, I did the work whenever I wanted, as long as everything was turned in by the due dates required by the profs for each class. It's a lot of reading, and you have to be able to write well because your scores are based on message board conversations instead of raising your hand in class.  I was taking the exact same classes they were taking in the building across town - taught by the same people, and was free to drive over for office hours when I got stuck.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I got my BS degree totally online at Florida State University. I was great! I don't think I can ever go back to a regular classroom setting. You can watch online lectures at times that are convenient for you. I definitely recommend it if you are the type of person that is responsible and independent as you will have to make sure you keep on top of due dates, etc.
    cinchris

Answer by cinchris at 3:20 PM on Oct. 18, 2010