how long before you know if your pregnant?

I know everyone and every pregnancy is different and I'm thinking I might be pregnant but I'm not sure when to start testing. I do not want any false readings so how long do I have to wait?

tasha080808

Asked by tasha080808 at 2:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would wait till at least you miss your period......but even if ya get a negative reading it could be wrong. When I was preggo with my 3rd child, I didn't find out for sure I was preggo till I literally felt him do a flip inside of me. It was freaky!! All the tests I took before that point came up negative! I immediately called the doc and made an appointment, when I went in the next day and they did an ultrasound they told me I was 15 weeks along.
    itchyrash

Answer by itchyrash at 2:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• wow i've heard of that happening my sister was about 4 months along with her first daughter before they confirmed it a pregnancy all of her test came back negative with my daughter i just had a feeling so i took the test and it came back positive i think by then she was already a month along
    tasha080808

Comment by tasha080808 (original poster) at 2:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I know it's hard to wait, but I would really wait until at least one week after you've missed your period. If you can go to the dr's and have them test you it would be best b/c that way you know it is a definite positive or negative. It sucks to feel like you know you are and take a test too early to get a negative result. Just wait and pay attention to little signs that could indicate you are pregnancy. Some women don't have any symptoms and some have them from the get-go. I'm pregnant w/ #5 so when I'm pregnant I know almost right away w/out a test b/c I know how my body reacts. Be patient and enjoy the suspense.
    shawnelizabeth

Answer by shawnelizabeth at 2:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree, a week after a missed period. It is hard but it may save u some $$ and heartache!
    ValerieRNmom

Answer by ValerieRNmom at 3:55 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• When you do get the test, get a First Response one. THey are super sensitive to the hormones. Remember a faint line still counts as a line!!!! And it helps to take the tet in the am with your first pee and also if you think you can't pee for 10 secs, pee in a cup that's cleanand then dip the test in it. Works well when you're nervous!!!! Besides, the pee in a cup thing is a great practice because you'll have to do it about 25 times over the course of your pregnancy at the dr lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I tested when I was a week late and got my positive. So I think the best time to test is when your late.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 5:03 AM on Oct. 18, 2010