Are you going to donate your organs after you died?

I used to have one of these little cards in my wallet when I lived in Germany, that said they can harvest my organs.
Since I moved to the Netherlands I stopped it. Don't trust the doctors here.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 2:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Health

• Yes, I do plan on it, although I understand what people are scared of - its believed that if its known someone is an organ donor they won't work as hard to save them. I don't know if I believe that, and if I remember correctly I have the symbol on my ID, but I have heard people talking about it before.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yep.  I've been a registered organ donor since I was 16.  I resigned the paper when I got my licensed renewed 4 years ago and I'm now on the list for life.

My dad donated my mom's organs (per her request) when she died and she saved so many people.  It was a good feeling to get that first letter from the daughter of one of the transplant recipients who got to see her father live.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Without a doubt. I want them to take everything they can... it's not going to do my any good once I'm dead and the possibility of saving or improving someone else's life is a reward beyond measure!
    Robsessed98

Answer by Robsessed98 at 2:42 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• yes I sure wont be needing them.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:45 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I am, for many reasons. For one thing, I have no need for them when I'm dead, so any that can possibly be used to save other people's lives, go for it. And for another, I remember very clearly when my cousin (who is a lot younger than I am - closer to my ds's age) had to have a liver transplant. He was 2 yrs old, and the wonderful, generous, unselfish gift of that organ, given by the donor and their family (since, ultimately, the nok has to agree regardless...), saved his life and allowed him to HAVE a life. Otherwise, instead of one person dead, there would have been at least 2 (possibly more, I don't know how many other organs were able to be donated by them). I also used to be friends with a woman who had to have a transplant. Thanks to that, she was able to live to see her little boy (who was like 5 at the time) grow up.

It doesn't hurt me, but could save someone else - so of course I am.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• yes!! i have informed my husband of my wishes and i hope that he does not fight them if i happend to leave before him. I want them all taken and donated. I hope they are still usefull by then..
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 4:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't know. I agree with all the PPs. That's why I want to do it. But I'm on several meds that make my day-to-day life bearable. I hesitate to donate my organs if there is any chance that the receiver will suffer afterward because of consequences of my medications. To me, that would be wrong.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:28 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Voted all the pp's before me - I too will want everything usable donated.

OP: What do you mean "You don't trust the doctors here?" You are dead sweetie, you won't need them!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 6:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes, what parts are still good. I would love to help anyone out because as most have said we won't be needing them.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:22 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes, there is no reason not to unless they are unhealthy.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2010