Why is it...

that it's more understanding when a girl leaves her mentally I'll husband but not if a man leaves his mentally I'll wife???

I don't agree either way but with other people talks this issuer it seems like.

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 3:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• I would venture to guess that it's because a man is traditionally the head of the household and supposed to be a caretaker for his wife in a sense. So when a man leaves a wife who's mentally ill there's a sort of broken taboo in ehich the man is not upholding his traditional role. When a woman does it the taboo isn't there because her traditional role is not seen to have been the head of the house and caretaker. That's my guess. I think that it really depends on the situation though. I had a third cousin who married a mentally ill woman and she was abusive to him and terrible in so many ways. He stuck with her for a long time despite it all but eventually he left her and divorced. I don't think any of us thought less of him for it. I think most of us were wondering why it didn't happen sooner. There are many different levels and types of mental illness and I would guess that it depends on whats involved in each case.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 3:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• to answer you question, Men are categorized as being Strong minded individuals and we expect them to survive any challenge and curve ball, But as hard as it is to believe, men want to be taken care of too. Men are sensative too and men cry too. A women is known to be the nurturer, the hearler the one who loves no matter what. and when a women leaves her iLL husband there could be trash talk because it is not common. we have to do what is best for us, not others.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 3:52 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It is hard to answer this question because I am not in their position. I can say that i have seen a few cases in which the wife developed Bipolar disorder and the husband left after years of verbal and psychological abuse. the wife was hard to live with and she drove everyone away. another case involved my cousin. she and her husband seperated and attempted to work things out after a one year seperation..anyway, during that seperation he developed schitsophrenia (sorry for the spelling) and she could not deal with caring for him. although they have a child together, she drove him to his sisters home and left him there. She said it was like taking care of another child and she did not need this. It is a challenge caring for mentaly ill adults and it varies on the disability.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 3:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• how funny, casandra, you answer is similar to mine except yours is written well. ;)
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 4:08 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I can see what you ladies are saying. I think it's sad anyone leaves but I can also understand when the person with the illness doesn't get help at all. My husband can't understand it either due to I have bipolar and can be a bit of a handful. My huabandsays he just couldn't image leaving me over this since he does view me has being two people me the normal smiles and understanding wife and the. The other hot temper screaming hate the world girl. There both me and he understands that two but he does help me with reminding me about my meds. When I'm stress and I start to manic he helps me through it. Every mentally I'll person needs a person like my husband. Lol.
    whoreallycares

Comment by whoreallycares (original poster) at 4:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Zoe- I don't think Antibes bitter and I don't think a mans input is even needed here.

Sorry guys about my spelling my phone auto corrects and sometimes I can't always catch it so it should in my post say ill not I'll.
    whoreallycares

Comment by whoreallycares (original poster) at 6:51 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• there's alot of bitter ladies on here that have very negative feeling on here, plus there's no men here (at least openly) who can defend the male position.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:38 AM on Oct. 18, 2010