Sleep patterns

I need to get my 10month old on a healthy sleep schedule. I'm not sure how many naps she should have, for how long or time gaps in between naps...any suggestions?

cclvsj

Asked by cclvsj at 4:14 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Every baby is different. There is no right or wrong here. But usually a baby that age takes 2 naps a day that are 1-2 hours each One n the am and another in the afternoon. Eventually babies combine it to just one nap that is usually in the afternoon. Try this(it worked for my dd) Whatever time she wakes up in the am, put her down for a nap 3 hours later. Then put her down again about 5 hours before bedtime. You may have to adjust a little. Follow baby for clues of sleepiness. The trick is to let her sleep as long as she desires and try doing it in the same place everyday. A dark, cool , quiet room. Also don't let her become overtired. Then she may refuse to sleep.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree that 2 naps is the usual for a 10 month old but I know of babies who took one. I always watched for signs of tiredness......rubbing eyes, yawns, fussiness, becoming clinging, etc. Then we had a set sleep time routine that we always did. Change diaper, lower shades, turn out lights, cuddling, soft music, rocking...........whatever you do as your routine.

The little boy I take care of was up for about 3-4 hours at this age before he showed signs of being tired with rubbing his eyes and yawning, etc. He soon started taking one nap, though, and that started when he would just play in his crib when his mom tried the second nap. Hope this was of some help.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:28 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• When mine was 10 months old he woke at 7am, went down for his first nap around 9:30, slept for 2 hours, then went down for his second nap around 1:30 and slept for 2 hours. His bedtime was 7:30pm. He went to one nap when he was 12 months - he started not sleeping during his 2nd nap so I just moved his morning nap later by 15 min increments each day until it was at 1pm.

Answer by missanc at 9:16 AM on Oct. 18, 2010