Going through Post Partumn Depression

a friend just had a baby 4 weeks ago. It was a hard delivery. She is very angry. I think the baby senses it because when she holds him the baby cries. But doesn't with the father.

My question is: Is there anything I can do as a friend or any suggestion I can give her to help her heal? I pray for her, but I think she's mad at God too for not turning the baby around while still inside of the womb... any ideas would be grately appreciated!

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 5:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Health

• Is she under a doctor's care for the depression? The only ideas I have would be to maybe make a couple of meals, be there to listen if she wants to talk, encourage her to get outside and get some sunshine. Maybe you could be there when she holds the baby and help her cuddle and talk to the baby. Or go for a walk together? Just ideas. I am glad she has you for a friend. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• The best advice i can give you is just be there for your friend when she needs someone. your not going to be able to tell her you think she has a problem or that she may need help because shell probebly just resist. So I would just be the best friend i could be and make sure she gets through this.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:16 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• If she has ppd she needs meds. Best advice, let her talk about how horrible the birth was, don't EVER tell her "at least the baby is healthy". Worst thing to say, because she is obviously happy the baby is okay. Ppd is not about the baby, it's about the mother and her feelings of inadequacy. Have a day with just you and her and let her really bitch and rage about everything that went wrong. If she repeats herself, let her. Agree with her when she calls the doc an idiot or whatever. She needs someone to understand the dissappointment she feels. also, she could join the ppd group on cafemom. :) Best of luck.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:59 AM on Oct. 18, 2010