What is the proper way to end a friendship?

I met a mom who has a baby the same age as mine. I have known her for 5 months now. There are MANY things that irritate me about her; one being that she is a "know-it-all" personality type. She considers me a good friend of hers and is super sweet and giving. I don't want to hurt her feelings. If I avoid calls she will stop by the house. What should I say to her?!

adelinasmommy

Asked by adelinasmommy at 7:27 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• Omg I was Just in this SAME position! Only I tried to ignore her and give us space and then all of a sudden we had a huge blow up because she was saying nasty things about my 4yr old, so I threatend to kick her ass and that was the end of it. I would try not to end in a big blow up like I did, but it was pretty effective..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Wow I've been there too. Sadly those kinda people are the few that can't take a hint and you end up having to be brutally honest with to get rid of them. I've only had to deal with a few of those. Most people get the hint or aren't as pushy. Good luck
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:35 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think you may have to speak up and tell her directly that you want to end it. Kind of like : "X I really hate to be rude or hurt your feelings but I have something that I feel I have to say. I really don't want to be friends anymore. It is not you, it is me. I just don't think we really 'click' or have that much in common. You are a great person and all, but it just is not working out. I hope you understand."
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:52 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Mizlee, thats a great answer. It'll be awkward and hurt a bit at first, but everyone will be the better for it in the long run.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I concur
    adelinasmommy

Comment by adelinasmommy (original poster) at 8:05 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I usually say, I have a lot going on right now so I can't talk or socialize right now. Sorry. Do it everytime she calls or comes by.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:32 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Been there. You don't need to say anything. Just blow her off. Just don't say anyhting mean. She will get the message after awhile.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• And these aren't things you can just ignore? No friends are going to be prefect, so you have to decide whether it's something you can ignore. If not, then I would let her know that you feel you're not as commited to the friendship as she is. That you feel you're not getting out of it what you should. That maybe you two shouldn't hang out anymore.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:10 AM on Oct. 18, 2010