nursing mom needs help

im so confused. went the dr found out i have strep throat he put me on amox-clav 875mg and he told me to stop breastfeeding. when i went to walgreens to pick my meds up i asked the pharmacist how long do i have to be off the meds b4 i can breastfeed again and she looked it up and said its fine to take while breastfeeding! so u can see why im confussed. then i decided to call other pharmacys and they said the same thing it was fine. when i called my dr back and talked to a different dr he said no!! so does anyone here no if its ok or what i should do?

samanthab77

Asked by samanthab77 at 7:33 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• And most of the time... antibiotics are ok, a pharmacist would know more about the drugs and effects than you doctor.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:51 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Personally I would call the doc back and insist they give you something that IS safe while nursing. There are plenty of antibiotics out there that are. I took straight amox with no clav for an ear infection while nursing my 6 month old son and both doc and pharmacist had no issue with it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• he said no for a reason, have you tried to find info on the med your taking? maybe that will help
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• The pharmacist would know more about it then the doctor actually. MANY doctors just assume you can't take any meds at all while nursing because most doctors dont know anything about lactation in general. If multiple pharmacies are telling you that its ok then its obvious your doctor is wrong. You do have to look out for thrush and yeast infections though, common side effects of antibiotics.
    TwoSugars

Answer by TwoSugars at 11:39 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Nursing Mothers

Ampicillin-class antibiotics are excreted in the milk; therefore, caution should be exercised when amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium is administered to a nursing woman.

http://www.rxlist.com/augmentin-drug.htm

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I am a nursing mom and when I had strep throat my doctor had no concerns, I got an injection though so that I didn't have to take an antibiotic for a period of days.
    Olive2smile

Answer by Olive2smile at 4:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Docs are unfortunatley rarely RIGHT about meds. You can take this stuff.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• This particular med IS safe. In the future, I recommend asking an IBCLC, LLL leader, checking with the Lact-med database, or with Dr. Hale. He's got a book and a website, and answers his e mails.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 19, 2010