My 22 month old has coughing attackas all night it keeps him and me up.helllppp

its not like a cough from a cold more of a dry cough..any advise on how to stop it?It seems if i have the AC on he is a little better but its a little too cold for an AC now

gio143

Asked by gio143 at 7:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Health

• Do you have a vaporizer or humidifier in the room? I would try that first.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i do have a cool and warm air one..i havent tried it because the same thing was happening last yr at this time and niether of them worked
    gio143

Comment by gio143 (original poster) at 8:13 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i used the ones that you add salt to. give him gatoraide and get him to the dr. sounds like he had major alleries.
    we go through two of the humidifiers a year because of them. the kids and hubby have bad alleries.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• This sounds very similiar to my daughter who was diagnosed with "nocturnal asthma". The coughing only occurred during the night and was worse in the fall. The doctor prescribed some medication that helped and she eventually grew out of it.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 9:10 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would start out with trying a humidifier. It could be that the air in your home is too dry.
    Also talk to your doctor about sleep apnea and/or Asthma. Those can also be contributing factors.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have bad allergies and i belive both of my kids also have seasonal allergies...and for the asma he does have an inhailer i give him when he starts the coughing but it dont do much..he had rsv when he was 2 months old and almost died and when he gets a cold he sometimes weazes thats what the dr. gave him the inhailer for.
    gio143

Comment by gio143 (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• That sounds so much like my son. The coughing would get so bad we would take him to the ER. They would do breathing treatments and tell us he had Croup. After about the 5th time, I told the Dr. I wanted him seen by an allergist and an asthma Dr. Turns out his Croup was asthma attacks.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 5:00 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• thanks every1...@ tracey...its def not croup he had croup back in june and my oldest son had it when he was small also...its more of a dry cough..i def think its more allergies or asthma..im gonna try to get him in the dr today...BTW girls i used the cool mist humidifier it worked for mabe 2 hrs then the coughing began... my poor baby
    gio143

Comment by gio143 (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2010