about schools and drs

took my kids to get their shots last week. youngest is four, and dr asked if she was in school. while she was asking this she was trying to get rye to follow directions but she wasn't doing anything the dr asked. i told her no. she got pasted over. dr asked rye what colors were on the wall, and after we told her she tricked her, she answered the questions correctly. heres the question:
what does it mean when the dr sayd she's referring the kid to preschool/headstart?
she was very upset that rye didn't do as she asked and i'm just wondering what this means. i've never had a dr refere us to school before. any insights would be gratefull.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 8:33 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in

• I think it is just to get your child some extra help. My daughter was like that with doctors and such when she was 4. Now she is 12, plays piano and the flute and makes almost straight A's. Has your child seen this doc before? Kids don't really trust strangers. Headstart is not a bad thing. I think it is just like preshool. It won't hurt to see what they have to say. Btw, my dtr never said her abc's. Shed say 'who doesn't know their abc's? Lol.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Don't know, the only thing I can think of is she thinks your 4yr old needs something now to get ready for kindergarten.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:39 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It might mean that the DR wants to see if she is were she needs to be for developement. I am not totally sure and if I were you I would ask the DR why they are referring her to school. The Dr may feel that she needs extra help or is a little behind for a 4 your old. Keep in mind I know nothing of you or your child so I am not saying this is what is going on I am just letting you know IMO what the DR might be thinking.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• my other two kids went through headstart and we had tried to get her in, i posted that before, but they said cuz she knew her colors, count to almost twenty, says her abcs, knows her colors she didn't need them. but the dr says different. so i'm not sure what to think anymore.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• That has never happened to me, maybe you should have asked her. I would have. I've never had a Dr. reccomend anything that didn't have to do with the health of my child.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• trust me i'm just asking for everyone's idea and thoughts here. and i really gratefull for all the feedback
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Call the doctor back and ask him why. That is the ONLY way you will find out. To me, I am thinking that he feels there may be a developmental delay but I can't say for certain beause I am not the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• There is federal program to see that all children are ready for kindergarten. Studies show that if they start out behind they are not always able to catch up. It is often cheaper and more effective to prepare the preschoolers for kindergarten than to try and get them up to grade level later.
    But I do not know what is going on with you, your daughter and the Dr. I would ask the Dr.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2010