When do you turn your heat on?

We're having lows in the 30s and 40s at night, but it's still getting up in the 70s or 80s during the day. It's SO cold in the house in the morning, so I'm tempted to turn on the heat when I wake up then by afternoon I'm glad I didn't do it yet. At what temperature do you decide to turn it on?

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I wait til the last minute. I just bundle up in the morning. a little extra work to stay warm is worth it when you get your utlilty bill.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:02 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I turn my oven on in the morning & crack it open a lil. This is what my old school mom used to do, this way i can warm up my kitchen quickly without turning the heat on. I'm in Atlanta & it has been getting very chilly at night, & then like you said...it will get up to 80 during the day. We also have an electric heater that we'll turn on in the living room too. We'll do ANYTHING to keep us from turing the heat on. I feel like we just turned the AC off. I really don't want to go right into putting the heat on. Would like to stretch this out as long as possible.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I won't turn the heat on until the day temps are staying in the low 50s. It's so nice by the afternoon there's no reason to have the heat on until it's cold all day and our electric bill is still recuperating from this summer so I'd rather not get the gas bill up until I have to.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I wait till the last possible second I can to turn it on.. when we can't stand the cold in hoodies and socks and need it turned on...
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 8:59 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I turn it on when the house gets below 65.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We don't turn our heat on until around January, when the outside temp is 30-40 degrees during the day.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:02 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I turn it on when the house gets down to 63
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:02 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• As long as it's warming up into the 70s and 80s I wont turn mine on. I'm waiting until I absolutely can not stand it anymore before I give in.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Until I can't stand the cold any longer. Our summers last what feels like forever so cold mornings are wonderful, I open the windows and get all the cool fresh air I can then close them when it starts to heat up.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:30 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We have had similar weather so I have been turning it on at night because it is just to cold for me.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 18, 2010