what can i name my baby?

ok my mother passed away almost 3 years ago. I wanted to name this baby after her in some way. her name was shannon patricia. if its a boy or a girl what can i name him/her to make it after her without actually using her name. like names with the same meaning or similar names? please help me out with this one!!

Kylie0427

Asked by Kylie0427 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Baby Names

• What other names are you looking at? You could use Shannon as a middle name for a boy or girl. My mother's name is Patricia and I thought about using Patrice for a middle name if I have a girl. If it's a boy, you could use Patrick.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I know shannon is also used for boys, but personally its a bit feminine for me you could spell it Channon. But Patrick is a good name Patrick Channon
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:23 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My name is Shannon and I still hear little girls with that name:) But if you aren't interested in that name you could try Shanna, Shawna, Shayna, Tricia. As for a boy you could name him Shane Patrick (my brothers first name lol) or Sean Patrick ( hubbys first name) lol. Or reverse them... Patrick Shannon? Not sure if boys are still being named Shannon anymore, although they were when I was a kid.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:23 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• the only reason i am not as interested on using her exact name is the way she lived her life. she had a lifestyle that i wouldnt promote to my children although she did lose her life trying to straighten up and do better. i've thought of aubrie shannon for a girl and ian lee for a boy bc ian has the same meaning as shannon....it means god is gracious but i'm not sure if ian sticks with it to me...and a lot of the names i like my fiance does not soooo....and if its a boy he wants to use the middle name lee for his grandfather so i am kinda stuck with the first name....idk what to do...hopefully its a girl so i dont have to compromise on a boy name lol
    Kylie0427

Comment by Kylie0427 (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think your choices are both very nice! If your not sure keep looking for gaelic/ irish names that have close to the same meaning. GL!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Payton for either a girl or boy. Pat for Patricia.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:56 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Boys:
    Patrick
    Shannon
    Seanan (shawn-an)
    Shane
    Shandon
    Brannon

FYI: Shannon means "old and wise" or "old and ancient" ... it doesn't have the same meaning as Ian.

Girls:
    Shayna
    Shanna
    Trisha
    Patreece
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• maybe Patrick for a boy and Shannon as a middle name..
    Houstyn08

Answer by Houstyn08 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• in hebrew ian and shannon both mean god is gracious u can look up different type of meanings like gaelic or irish and stuff like that on websites and i found it on one of the websites i was on...thanks everyone for your help
    Kylie0427

Comment by Kylie0427 (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Patrick Lee and
    Tricia Leigh
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2010