If you aren't hosting Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner...

Do you still buy the turkey and trimmings anyway ? I do, because, to quote Ralphie from A Christmas Story, both dh and I are "turkaconus-freaks." We love turkey and all the good food that comes with it and just look at all the meals you can have from one bird!

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 9:13 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• That's one of my favorite movies ever! Yep, we still cook one at home, but I admit my favorite is to have is smoked. There's a processing facility here that will do it fo $8 and all I have to do is reheat it in the oven.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:21 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Love that movie! We have Thanksgiving at home just the five of us. Christmas we fix ham.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We do a traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Well, sort of. We buy the turkey and such, but we fry it instead of cooking it in the oven. Yummy! Anyway, we live 1,400 miles away from our family and are not able to be together like we used to be. So we have our own little Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners! And we don't have to worry about if we are going to get any particular thing! There is always plenty to go around!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We get our turkey free the year before from our grocery store. If you buy a ham you get a turkey free. So yeah, we make turkey regardless!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• NO, but I do buy whole turkeyies (sp) throughout the year
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:16 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No. I'm usually sick of turkey after Thanksgiving.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No. Sometimes on Thansgiving, we go to visit family where they are usually serving traditional Thanksgiving food. My girls and I are vegetarians (not hubby), so we eat everything except the meat.
    A couple of times, we have chosen to stay home on Thanksgiving, and when we did, we made Italian food--salads, lasagna, rolls, etc. It was neat to do something different. I'm not really into keeping customs just for the heck of it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:37 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We have Lamb... Hubby's from England, and doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving. We don't travel over the Holidays, we stay home, and it's just the 5 of us. I figure, one of these days our boys will be grown and going different directions for the Holidays, so we will enjoy them being home while we can... Christmas we take a vote so it's always something different.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:45 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think we're going to this year, but we haven't in previous years.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:48 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I still go to my mother's house for Thanksgiving, and no, I come home with enough leftovers no t to need to make my own.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 18, 2010