How accurate are the 2D ultrasounds?

I had my ultrasound on friday & the doc told me i was having a girl! which was a great surprise! However, everyone thought i was having a boy such as my mom, father-in-law, dad, etc. i mean EVERYBODY! lol so i guess i gotten so use to the idea that i was having a boy & now its hard for me to believe. so i guess my question is has anyone ever gotten their ultrasound and it was what they expected or was it the total opposite?

joymoon87

Asked by joymoon87 at 9:22 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you had the u/s done at 25wks then this is what I have to say ......congratulationsits a girl I thought for sure I was going to have a baby boy but at 19wks she was confirmed a girl. I just had another level 2 u/s done at 25wks and I asked them is she was still a girl they said yes lol

ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 9:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• All my ultrasounds were right. It's a good idea to ask the technician how sure he/she is that it's accurate. I had at least one friend who found out at the birth of her child that they had been wrong about the sex in the ultrasound. Most have been correct though. Not seeing boy genitalia is not the same as confirming that there is girl genitalia, if you know what I mean. It just depends on what the tech thinks they are seeing.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Both my US were right
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:23 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Was your ultrasound at the hospital? I mean, they can be wrong, but usually they won't say anything unless they are 100% sure.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• How far along where you when you had the gender u/s done? I heard 50% of the time they are wrong if done before 18wks.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 9:29 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Hello ladies, i had my ultrasound done at 25 weeks & it was done at a clinic. Thanks for all your stories! :)
    joymoon87

Comment by joymoon87 (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• With every ultrasound I've had they've been spot on.
    Your family doesn't know either way just by looking at you or your symptoms. All of that can go back and forth.
    I would trust the ultrasound, it's very rare that they're wrong.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:47 AM on Oct. 18, 2010