how do i make my son like school?

He always wants to go to his grandmother's house

karia_vdl

Asked by karia_vdl at 12:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a friend how boy cryed every morning going to school. It got so bad the only way to get him to go to school was for her to drive him and then one of the teachers would meet them at the door to walk him to class. The fire drills scare him so much he didn't want to be there at all. That was last year so this year she put in to a church that had class for preschool and up. He like it there alot more. If having him going to school be comes a problem look in to other schools like a church run school. Cost is more but most have smaller class size.
    cloverlady2008

Answer by cloverlady2008 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• kids always come out of their "shell". Doesnt matter where you send them to school. I have had my son in a private school for 3 yrs now. he is out of his shell. I dont thinik it has anything to do with the school. Parents play a big part. I realized that this year.
    mjenmeag

Answer by mjenmeag at 2:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my son didnt really like preschool he always wanted to stay with me and at naps he would cry for me and he would wake up looking for me and crying to it was hard for me to let him go to preschool. but you can show him how fun it is and tell him that he will meet new kids. make new friends. if you have to leave your child at school kicking and crying i would i stayed with my son on his frist day to school for a little bite and i just left but getting him to school was a another thing on the way to school tell him how fun and what he would be doing in school like riding on the big yellow bus coloring singing dacning learning new things and my son was happy
    Ladymama8o8

Answer by Ladymama8o8 at 5:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Why doesn't he like school? That is the first place to start. With my kids, I always praise the school, (even though I hate it!). I tell my son that I just love when he gets off the bus, and he has all these things to show me. I tell him how much his teacher looks foward to seeing him in class everyday, and that she loves her job being his teacher. One day he didn't want to go, and I said that his class would miss him being there to share the fun. See if your school can let you be there after school with him, and he can show you what he does during the day. Have grandma encourage this also, but don't let it sound like he has to chose between grandma and school.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 12:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• any chance you can homeschool? it's a wonderful way to preserve your child's love of learning. I have a homeschooling group (secular, but we have many theistic members, too) and would be happy to tell you more if you are interested.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2008