With all of the bullying going on, are you thinking homeschool?

Everytime you turn on the TV or pick up a magazine it seems there is a new story about bullies and their victims. Is this new trend starting to get you thinking about homeschooling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't currently homeschool, but I will in a New York second should I think that my children are not safe or are not being properly educated in their current school situation. I monitor their daily work and social activities, ask for details about their day, talk to their teachers, know their friends' moms, read my DD's emails and texts (she knows I do). They are in martial arts and love it. They are both good-hearted and strong-willed kids who know how to be a good friend to others.

Are they completely bully-proof? No, they aren't. But they are better protected than I ever was.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• "real world issues"

Not once as an adult "in the real world" have I been spat on, pushed, or had things knocked from my hands by someone just so they can laugh at me.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• they need to learn to deal with situations
    **********************************************
    Why isn't it the bullies never have to learn how to deal with people that they don't like?
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No, but I have thought about enrolling my children in martial arts.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:50 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes we homeschool. I don't understand people who say "they need to learn to handle these situations." Seriously? You think you're somehow preparing your child for the 'real world' by harassment and physical abuse? I have the following on my homepage for those of you who do - “Fortunately, we found a way our kids can receive the same socialization that government schools provide. On Mondays and Wednesdays, I will personally corner my son in the bathroom, give him a wedgie and take his lunch money. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, my husband will make sure to tease our children for not being in the ‘in’ crowd, taking special care to poke fun at any physical or emotional abnormalities. Fridays will be ‘Fad and Peer Pressure Day'. If you aren't in the cool crowd then you suck!But you could join it if you just did x, y, z.." This sounds stupid - but it's essentially what you're saying "prepare" them indeed!
    KickButtMama

Answer by KickButtMama at 11:10 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No I already plan to homeschool my boys. I have stepchildren in the PS system and I am fighting them right now for a bus driver that tried bullying my daughter and publicly humilated her. However, that being said tolerance can be taught in homeschooling to-after all my boys come from a family of 5 children-they have to learn tolerance early on.
    homeschln2boyz

Answer by homeschln2boyz at 10:01 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We already homeschool and yes, this was one of the reasons. Although there are still kids who bully that are homeschooled, it is less likely than in a school with limitied resources and not enough parent involvement.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I already home-school my kids. Bullying wasn't a big part of the decision but the more I hear about it, the happier I am with my decision to do so.

As for "preparing them for the real world", I have never had to deal with a bully as an adult that was hitting me or threatening me. You know why? It's because it is ASSAULT and they will go to jail. What is happening to the kids in school that are bullying? NOTHING!
    alexsmomaubrys2

Answer by alexsmomaubrys2 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Homeschooling is not a small undertaking. It is not for everyone. I teach my child to stand up for themselves and they are out in public all the time learning how to handle whatever life throws at them. Bullying had nothing to do with my decision to homeschool. I was bullied in high school very badly. It got to a point where my emotional stress caused physical pain. It was eventually taken care of because I had caring parents that made sure it was eventually put to a stop. I decided to homeschool for academic reasons and to make sure my kids had a good foundation and can think for themselves. My third grader loves to read and learn and asked this year to study Chemistry and that is why I am homeschooling. I want my kids to love learning and become whatever they want to be. Homeschooling is one of the most uplifting, difficult, challenging and rewarding and awe inspiring tasks a parent can take on.
    jen2150

Answer by jen2150 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I homeschool for a variety of reasons. My boys have encountered bullies in their city sports, at the park, and other places where children congregate. The difference is, I'm right there to guide my kids if I see the situation elevating to a point they can't handle on their own.
    Mommy22boys

Answer by Mommy22boys at 11:33 AM on Oct. 18, 2010