Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

how do i get the school to pay for my sons broking leg caused by a bullie at school?

My son got his leg broke a recess by a kid that didn't like him.My son fell and the boy jumped on his leg. my son fractured his tibia. And is in a full leg cast and wheelchair for 4-6 weeks. i can't work and have to take him to and from school for 4 hours a day.

Answer Question

Asked by stephanie545 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (21)
  • Why should the school have to pay? I would go after the other boys parents. It is not like the school made the boy jump on his leg.

    Answer by RheaF at 9:53 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • that is bullshit that you want to sue the school for something that they had no control over. the bully did it not the school. thats like suing Jo Blow cuz u were a dumbass and tripped goin up the stairs to his house. It wasnt his fault he didnt push you or cause u to fall in any way, it was only your ignorance that did it.

    Answer by Savage640 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • I don't think you can get the school to pay for this. Did they have an prior knowledge of the bullying going on? Have you talked to the other kid's parents about their child being a bully? I am sorry that your son is having to deal with this, but I don't think that you can make the school pay for it. You may, however, be able to get the other kid's parents to pay for it if you can prove that their child was solely responsible for the break if you sue them.

    Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • You need to consult an attorney, and have them contact the PARENTS, not the school...

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:55 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • It's not the schools fault it's the bully's fault. Go after his/her parents if you need to.

    Answer by kittieashy at 9:56 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • Can you prove the boy broke it? Maybe he broke it when he fell. I do agree though you should take it up with the parents, not the school.

    Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • I would hire a lawyer and then go after the bully/his parents for the cost of your child's medical bills.

    Answer by MizLee at 9:58 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • Usually schools have insurance for these things. Even if the kids hurt themselves, the schools are still liable. But, yeah the bully is more liable, I would sue his parents. The schools are so underfunded, they don't need one more expense.

    Answer by Shanna84 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • P.S. it should be a broken leg, not broking.

    Answer by Savage640 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

  • if the teachers were watching the kids it might not of happened i would say call an lawyer!

    Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.