How do you feel about giving second hand items as gift for the Holidays?

I've sold during the holiday season and people have asked the condition because they want to give as a gift, even if it is a previously owned item (seriously!) I tried it one year (because) I couldn't afford squat and it turned out really nice. Of course the Items have to be in pretty good condition and it depends on what it is. I don't mind, I think its fun! When I'm searching for stuff to sell, I find really good items (sometimes) new and I will put them up for birthday or Holidays gifts.
I receive some of the best, I mean the best Thank you (s) Like: This is fantastic, how did you find it? I have been wanting one of these for the longest! My favorite is my grandmother, she actually told me how much she liked and used her gift and still reminds me to this day!
I just wondered if others have done this?

Websavvy1
nearnew.ecrater.com

websavvy1

Asked by websavvy1 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Holidays

• I guess if it's like an antique or something that can't be bought new any more, I would. But I wouldn't do all my shopping at garage sales.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• for me, I mostly re-gift if anything, but it's not often at all.
    my husband gives stuff from vintage shops and things.
    he gave as a wedding gift some bowls with stone inlay that the couple loved, a shirt to my SIL with her teams willing year on it (she loved it!)
    I gave my SIL a gift set of receiving blankets from a yard sale that the woman never used. That was mostly because I was ramen noodles broke when we first moved.
    I didn't tell anyone where it came from, but mostly I just heard little comments here and there about how dare I go off the registry!
    as if someone having a baby doesn't need lots of receiving blankets!

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• This is actually a competition among the 1/2 graders at my son's school. They love the bag full of garage sale stuff or found items from their friends. One mom started it because her daughter insisted on giving some beloved items to a friend and now they all want to do it. Those are the things that most mom's comment are played with most, not the fancy boxed item that often gets put in the bag and forgotten because pieces might get lost. If we do it, we always try to pair something new or handmade with the reusable item. This last year, my daughter wanted to give one of her dolls to a friend so we made it a new outfit and a small quilt. The recieving child loved it and it has become the one "take everywhere" item. Some people are just too stuck up about the presentation rather than the meaning and value behind a gift.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 10:13 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I've never done it, but I don't see a problem with it, as long as the gift is in new condition.

The few times I've passed along something pre-owned, it was always done up front - I told the person as I handed it to them, "I got this as a gift, I can't/don't use it but I thought it would be perfect for you". I am clear that if they can't/don't use it, they should feel free to pass it along themselves. If it's close to another holiday where I would normally be giving a gift, I still do provide that gift.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:16 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• @t3dragonflies. I know my son is the same way! I am so amazed!
    websavvy1

Comment by websavvy1 (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think it depends on the person receiving the gift, but it can work!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:15 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Seems to depend on the gift and the recipient - I could see it where it was a thoughtful, sought-after unique item, I know I'd love that!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Second hand in second hand condition? NO, I wouldn't give that at all...
    Second hand in New Condition? Sure.
    Second hand as in "vintage" or "antique"? Oh hell yeah!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:24 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Sorry , I really can't answer for all, by myself, I wouldn't give a second hand gift to no one , I just wouldnt feel right.. Sorry
    judybronxmom68

Answer by judybronxmom68 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think there are appropriate times and people to give second hand to. You can find items that are new or in very very good condition second hand. It's less expensive and better for the environment. I think small children are the best to buy second hand for. They do not need the packaging to feel they are getting a great gift. Just last year I found a huge lot of like new littlest pet shop items. I recommended that my Mom buy them for my daughter. She was absolutely in heaven. She was able to receive way more than she would have otherwise and it truly made her Christmas. I think that when done appropriately and tastefully it can be just as great of a gift as new.
    Joyfilledspirit

Answer by Joyfilledspirit at 12:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010