Do Any Other Christians Find This Disheartening, Too?

Watching 'God in America' on PBS last week made me reflect on all the division within Christianity:

Martin Luther founded the Lutheran Church in Germany in 1517
King Henry VIII founded the Anglican Church in England in 1533
John Calvin founded the Presbyterian Church in Switzerland in 1555
John Smyth founded the Baptist Church in Amsterdam in 1609
John Wesley founded the Methodist Church in England in 1738
Joseph Smith founded the LDS in the US in 1830
Charles Russell founded the JWs in the US in 1879
Feliz Manalo founded Iglesia ni Cristo in the Philippines in 1914
Ron Hubbard founded Scientology in the US in 1952
Chuck Smith founded Calvary Chapel in the US in 1965

Numerous non-denominational churches have been founded throughout the US (and probably elsewhere in the world) and we have denominations within denominations (1st Baptist, 2nd Baptist, Southern Baptist, Reformed Baptist, Free Will Baptist).

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 10:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with you, FlatlanderJenn, but now that Pandora's box has been opened, so to speak, I don't think Christians will ever be completely united again with all of the same beliefs. What we need to do now is focus on how we can work together to accomplish the mission given to us by the Savior.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:44 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Please don't count Scientology in there. L. Ron Hubbard is a science FICTION writer and a fruit and anything he does should NOT be credited as a religion!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• IMO, it's simply fulfililng prophecies. The Bible tells us that man will rise against his brother, nation will rise against nation, and men will become lovers of themselves. All this division just goes to prove those points, at least the way I see it. And, yeah, I find it very disheartening, but at the same time, if it means it's moving closer to the time Jesus returns to rapture His Church, then it will all be worth it.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 10:08 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I really love the "character" commercial where the actress says, "I believe in all paths to God."
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Lutheran, Anglican, Presbyterian, and the Methodist all practice what is called Reformed Theology, and while they disagree in some areas of doctrine, they agree on the essential doctrine. Baptists also agree on essential doctrine, but do not necessarily practice Reformed Theology, although there is a subsect called Reformed Baptists. LDS and JW have VERY different views on the essential doctrine and I would argue are not a part of the true church. I don't know anything about Iglesia ni Cristo, and Scientology is no where near Christianity so I don't know why you've included it. So it is really still a question of Protestant vs Catholic Theology, and I have to say that if it weren't for the Reformers - Luther, Calvin, et al. - we'd still be buying indulgences, living in fear of Purgatory, and no one would know anything about what Scripture actually says because it would still only be written in Latin, bound in chains and ...
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• "LDS and JW have VERY different views You're right. I'm sorry, I should not have included them. I don't personally view them as Christian either, because they don't believe in the Trinity. I didn't want to exclude a religion in which the members feel they are Christian, to avoid offending them. "I appreciate your concern. As a Jehovah's Witness, I can say that yes, we are Christian. We follow Christ's footsteps very closely , which is why we do not follow a doctrine that did not exist prior to the Nicene Creed, centuries after the death of Christ and the apostles. In any event, all roads do not lead to the same place. Jesus stated as much when he said at Matthew 7:13,14"Go in through the narrow gate; because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones going in through it; whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life and few are the ones finding it."

69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 5:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I heard that there are so many different beliefs in the Christian faith because there's so many different personalities of people and that God wanted people to worship Him in different ways,this information didn't come from a Bible professor.I don't agree with God wanting people to worship Him in different ways,because then that would mean God approves of us calling on mother mary and nowhere in the Holy Bible does it tell us to do that.No where in the Holy Bible does it say to baptise infants or sprinkle water on children or adults heads like the Lutherns do.So then the different faiths in Christianity come from men seeking their own agendas and not from what the Bible says.Jesus says that there will be a time when people will not accept the doctrine of the Bible but they will be tossed to and fro with various beliefs of their own.God still looks at the heart no matter what belief your in.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 2:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't find it disheartening - do we all have to follow the exact same religion? I agree with Anon - Scientology is not a Christian-based fath, I think it is a category all its own.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I only find it disheartening that the different denominations cannot get along. IMO, as long as you read from the bible, follow the Law, and accept what Jesus says about salvation, the rest are just doctrines of personal preference. I believe that in the times that we are living, we all need to put aside our differences and love on others the way Jesus wanted us to. We need to be witnessing to others. We need to be praying for the lost and for our countries. In America, we need to pray for and vote for Christian democrats and Christian republicans this November to help turn our counrty around. That being said, there are some denominations that do not follow the bible and I fear are preaching false doctrine. I just pray that these people will recieve revelation of the Truth.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• .... locked up on the pulpit. What is disheartening is the RCC's control over the Gospel. The Reformation occurred in order to return to the teachings of the early church, and without it, I don't think there would be near as many Christians as there are now.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 18, 2010