Frozen hoagie rolls

We used to buy cases of frozen baguettes from Sam's club, and you just had to thaw them and pop them in the oven to crisp them up (they were already parbaked though) - so great for many things. We just bought a case of their hoagie/submarine buns assuming it would be the same deal. Nope, they are just chunks of dough!! I'm assuming I need to thaw them and let them rise before baking? Anybody have any expertise in this area? Uhh, so cheap but way more work than I thought it would be.

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 10:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Also, the guy told me to bake them at 375 for 15-17 minutes, with 16 seconds of steam ... any way of simulating steam?!
    TarraJoy

Comment by TarraJoy (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Try googling the brand and the word directions.

My best bet is, thaw overnight, proof on the counter for about a half hour (till a finger pressed in the dough leaves a dent) then bake.
    But there's a lot of variables.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You can easily add steam to oven by misting the oven door with a water bottle after it's hot, or by using a broiler pan underneath the baking pan, (heat the empty pan in the oven while you preheat,) for sixteen seconds, I'd say pour in a quarter cup of water and close the door quickly.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Here, check out this website.

There's a lot of solid baking info, plus the recipes for bread are no work and just amazing. Pay attention to the method that involves baking the bread in a pot, so specialist equipment needed.

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com (obviously AFTER you finish with the hoagie rolls)
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• To create steam add a pan of hot water to the lowest shelf in the oven. Check to make sure it doesn't all steam away.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010