Filing tax questions

So my DF got laid off last Feb and has been drawing unemployment since then. He has taxes taken out of his checks. I work 40 hours a week. We have two kids and are trying to figure out how to claim and get the most back. Should I claim both, him claim one and I claim one, or him claim both?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• Talk to a tax preparer and they should be able to help you out with the getting the most back part. We go to H&R Block, and they are great!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't think so because unemployment is considered income. But it depends. When you say last Feb, do you mean 2009 and Feb. or this year? I'm sure what tax year the unemployment was paid in matters along with the amount recieved. You might want to take a look at the IRS website. I'm sure the guidelines for being a dependent are probably defined on the site somewhere.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Figure it out when all the numbers come in. Do either jointed or separate and see where you get the most return.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010