What is the one thing that no one told you about marriage, that you later found out?

We have all been there ladies! We meet the love of our life, get married and then BAM! You say thing's like: I didn't know marriage was going to be like this?

thedies

Asked by thedies at 12:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Relationships

• Honestly, I lived with my first husband before we were married or had kids. Nothing really changed. I live with my fiance now, we share expenses (actually, I'm a SAHM) and we are getting married soon. I'm not worried. Unless you don't share your money, it doesn't really change. I think the financial part is the hardest to adjust to.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• you end up with awful inlaws...
    seexxymama4u2me

Answer by seexxymama4u2me at 1:06 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• OMG- I was never told exactly how much work it takes!! It takes so much work to be married, because its like you give up your own life to make one life with another person. I am happy, its just tough sometimes to make sure that whatever decision you make as an individual is a good decision for both parties.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I agree, nothing changed for us either until we had a child. Then I realized how c@*#py he was at changing diapers :)
    CashJulianMommy

Answer by CashJulianMommy at 1:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• We lived together about 3 months before our wedding, but things got worse because of his finances having to get inorder. He was so out of control with buying crap at first. We got financial conseling but still, it's hard because i never grew up with that kind of money.
    meitaimom679

Answer by meitaimom679 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i haven't felt like that yet and i don't think i ever will. i knew marriage was going to be hard and knew that we would have to try to keep it together. although i think some people make it harder then others with their bad habits or their unwillingness to work things out. we are able to talk about anything. so i don't get when people on here are asking questions about how to ask their husbands this or that. i can just ask and have no concern about how he will react cause i know him and know how he will react. we talked about what our roles would be in our marriage and what we expect so before we tied the knot so no surprises thus far and don't expect anything in the future.we have a real commitment to each other. we truly love and respect each other.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• LOL. I learned so many things. I learned that bad tendencies get worse with age! I learned that you can never know everything about a person. You actually think he IS everything you WANT him to be. I learned that people don't change. If I had to do over, I wouldn't have married my Ex husband. I saw the signs (I should have listened!). I learned that love makes you completely blind. I learned that marriage take compromise on both sides. I learned you should never compromise yourself to the point of loosing YOU. But the key word in all of this is I "learned". I'm really happy now with my new SO. I am happy I learned all those things!
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My husband and I lived together for a few years before we got married, living together is one thing. Being married and living together is another. No one ever told me that marriage is a full time job that you have to keep up with on top of your regular full time job and the rest of your life. It can cause strains but as long as you and your SO know this, it will work out fine.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 1:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i never knew marriage would feel so different than the serious long-term relationships i had in the past. it is harder than it looks, but so wonderful at the same time. i'm glad i waited for the husband i have... i was married first (and only hopefully) time age 39 this year. i'm glad we got married when we felt the urge instead of waiting for years to make sure it worked, but instead got married when the relationship was new and we make it work by making sure to communicate and put our relationship first and working on ourselves to make sure we are healthy individuals in a relationship together.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I agree about the horrible inlaws.
    Anonymous