What do you do to help your child read? what is your reading routine?

my dd is 6 and in 1st grade.

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 10:34 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We go to the library, he loves to pick out his own books. They also have an incentive program at school. He reads 15 minutes/day to me, colors in a 15 minute piece on a pizza pie, and when they are all filled in (120 min) the class gets a pizza party. As long as everyone gets them colored in by the due date. He loves to read anyway, so just going to the Library is a treat to him. We also go to the local book store, and they can pick out a book out of the clearance bin... I have been reading to our boys since they were babies, so they love it.
    Just yesterday our boys asked for books from Santa... That makes me so happy to know they love to read that much!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• first off you read to your child when they are younger, that helps foster a liking of books, then you find books that they are into....most girls like fairytales,fairys, horses,puppys,etc...... a library card is a great start because they can pick out there own books.
    My daughter loves to read and has a very full bookcase at the moment.
    If your daughter is having trouble with her reading let her read the book to you, that way you can hear what she is struggling with, whether its the words or letters themselves...if all else fails get her a tutor, dont let her fall behind.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:42 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think I just read to him. didn't really do too much. He just picked up reading and could read after kindergarten.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:47 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• When they were little, I read to them, as they got older and learned to read, they read to me, but sometimes they would ask me to read to them. At the dinner table, they would finish first, we would ask them to read to us while we finished dinner. I take them to the library and get their own card and let them pick out as many books as their age. They have a bag that they keep them in-only one book can be out at a time, and it has to be in their hands. I let them buy books at the book fair at school. They started asking for gift card to book stores for Christmas and love to go pick out their own books.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:53 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Last year when my daughter was in first grade, we started the year out me reading a page, her reading a page. Then we progressed to me reading a chapter, her reading a chapter. By the middle of the school year she was reading completely by herself. Now she's in 2nd and I am reading with her on long chapter books, but the rest of the books she chooses she is on her own. Her books of choice last year were Magic Tree House books and Junie B Jones.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We have always read to our children, very frequently thoughout the day. My kids love books and therefore love to be read to and now want to read. My dd is 6 years old, first grade and reads independently very well now. We never had a routine, we just always read to them, still do.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2010