Husband addicted to video games...

My DH works very hard at work and home so for down time and fun he plays his ps3,so I have never complained.It is also set up in our bedroom.We put the tv in first b/c we love to watch it together in bed but anymore every chance he gets he is on the game.We never go anywhere together and I barely see him and now its all he wants to do at home.I have told him he's playin too much but he just looks at me like He works all the time this is all I do when I'm not working,like I shouldn't say a thing to him.I work hard too and would like more time with just him.I want it out of our room but don't know how to tell him since its his room too.What would u do if ur dh was spending more time gaming then with me or his family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• If we had already talked about it and he still played this much I would be unplugging it. It would be in a box for a while. The advantage is that at least you know where he is. I would unplug it.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Two things Dear
    First think of it this way...A lot of women don't know where their man is or what he is doing. At least yours is home
    secondly: Talk to him and work out family time. Tell him know that the game is his relaxation but not yours so you feel it should not be in the bedroom anymore. Set family time...no exceptions, together even a date time at least once a month for just the two of you. My husband was the same way and this seemed to work. The only difference is some of the games I liked and was his assistant in conquering certain things
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Cheveyo1 took the words out of my fingertips.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:01 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• When my husband and I first got married, he was like this. He'd come home from work, get on the PS2 or computer until bed time. On the weekends, it was worse. I'd talk to him, and he'd tell me I was over reacting, that he didn't spend but an hour or two on there on weekdays and only a few on weekends. So I decided to log his time for 2 weeks. I'd write down what time he got on there, make him initial it, then write down what time he got off. After two weeks I showed him the log. He was honestly surprised that he was spending that much time playing games. He "relapsed" a few times, but usually then all it took was me reminding him. With the bed room thing, we don't have a tv in ours for that reason. I'd just tell him you feel like the tv in the bed room has caused more harm than good in your marriage and you'd like to take it out for a while. Good luck, mama.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would ask if he could at least put a time limit on it. OR, i would start playing video games when he came home so he could see how annoying it is to be ignored by a video game all day. Yeah....that's what i would do....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My husband works in the video game industry so you would think that he'd not even want to look at a game system when he gets home. Wrong! He has every system they make but they are all in the living room. I have a no tv in bedroom policy. I believe the bedroom is the only place we have to connect as a couple. Can he move the system to the another room?
    As far as him playing too much you just need to set boundaries that you both are happy with. There's no reason he can't play if you guys have nothing planned. When I want my husband to stop playing I explain very clearly that I would like him to hang out with me at a certain time or that we have plans to go out as a family at a certain time. If you guys discuss it you can achieve a happy balance.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2010