Does your child believe in santa,tooth fairy,easter bunny?

My older kids(10 and 11) never asked us but the last few years i got the feeling they were not believers. My 6 yo asked my husband is santa is real because her brother told her he wasnt. My hubby said i believe and santa comes here and he ran away to get me. I am not sure how to handle it when she asks. How do you ask without lying. when did yours stop believing?

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 10:37 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would ask "what do you think?" and let the conversation go from there. When this happened with me she said that kids in school told her there was no Santa Clause. I asked if she thought there was and she said she thought there was and that the kids who didn't believe wouldn't get any presents from Santa, just from their parents. I said, That's what I believe, too. She was 7 and I thought she had probably figured it out, but from what she said, I knew she still wanted to believe.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:50 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Yes.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I am pretty sure that my kids no longer believe (they are almost 8 and 9). But we just keep on keeping on. When they ask questions, just to try and keep the magic alive, I answer with a question that they can judge their answer for themselves. I was asked if we were the Tooth Fairy by my son one time (they hid the tooth to see what would happen that night) and I told him we would have to wait and see. The next morning he had money and the tooth was gone. The dollar was where the tooth was (I searched for an hour for that thing!). And when they ask about Santa, we tell them that we believe in the magic of Christmas, and it is up to them whether they choose to believe or not.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I kept it going until he was 11 and said, "Mom, stop it, I know already." LOL Then, he was like, "Geeze"

I knew I could quit then..
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Our 7 yr old son still believes.. Our 8 yr old son told me yesterday he has it figured out,lol... I just tell them they can believe if they want, and see what happens.. I just leave it open, and don't say, "no there's no Santa". I think that would hurt our youngest. Our 14 yr old son wasn't hurt when he found out,(at 9) but he did say it takes the fun out of it when you figure it out...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I have 4 children..my oldest who is 13 yrs old knows there is no such thing..he was never told by me he just kinda figured it out awhile back..i believe he was 9 when he figured it out..lol...My youngest 2 still believe they are 5 & 9 yrs old..they beleive in all the magic of it..and i think it's great....why take away the magic of being young and believing in wonderful things...my 10 yr old knows there is no such thing..she doesn't say it but i just know she doesn't..lol...they all figure it out..but it's fun watching them believe in something like this..at least it is for me!!
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I always tell them that Santa (and the others) only come to those who believe. My daughter has a couple of friends who are Jehovah Witness's, so she has asked me specifically why Santa doesn't go to their houses. I just tell her that Santa doesn't go to their house because they don't believe. That's always been good enough for them and that's our response until they say otherwise. I will probably warn them (when they are old enough not to believe) that if they ever stop believing will be when they stop getting their special gifts. My friend employed this method with her children and they never said a word about not believing until they were well into their teens because they didn't want to ruin their own fun.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• No. He is 4.5 years old and he knows they exist. But he knows gifts come from mommy, daddy, grandma,etc. I do not want to lie to him. If we lied to him...he would be upset b/c we have always told him not to lie.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't like lying to them. I let DH tell them all about these mystical beings but I told them a few weeks ago the truth. They are 6 and 7. I cried for several days when I was 9 and my mom told me the truth. I also remember feeling betrayed and stupid. I did not want my children to have those feelings.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I finally told my son when he was 10. I was afraid kids would make fun of him. He still believed strongly at that point. My daughter is 7 and I see the question in her eyes, but she hasn't said anything yet. I have the feeling this will be her last year. If they come right out and ask you, you could be vague. Like "Santa is a nice thought" or something like that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2010