ProActive for Acne...

Good Morning Ladies,
Our 14 yr old son has acne flare ups so I thought I would get proactive for him. It hasn't come yet, but I wondered if any of you have used it? If so did it work well? If not why? Thanks!

MrsLeftlane

Asked by MrsLeftlane at 10:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• A friend of mine just bought it for her 15 year old son. She was amazed at how well it's working. And fast! Just follow the directions, you only need a little. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:18 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It did not work for me. I made my own acne solution. I mix a little of Burts acne face lotion (which is actually a bit oily) with some %10 benzoil peroxide cream.

I found that a lot of acne treatment, including proactive, dried my skin out real bad...which at the same time was causing my skin to OVER produce oil to make up for it. So, my face would be dry...but as soon as i started to sweat, or if i wore makeup...the pimples just flared out of control. So, i figured i need to keep my face very moist, while the benzoil peroxide kills the pimple bacteria. That is how i made my "potion" and it worked like a CHARM! No more zits for me!

Also, benzoil peroxide is the only thing that kills pimple bacteria. Salicylic acid does not kill the bacteria, it works as a peeling agent to treat and prevent acne by causing your skin's cells to shed more easily.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:59 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It did not work for me either. I am now 28 and still struggling with acne prone skin. The only thing that worked for me is the Pill, but obviously that won't work for your son. My advice is to see a derm if the OTC treatments aren't effective.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Our doc thinks its a good system because it does start a cleaning routine, BUT you can find the same exact thing so much CHEAPER at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. with the same ingredients just not the ProActive brand name.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It was $20.00 for the 3 step treatment, so I didn't think that was too bad... I thought I would start there, and then if it didn't work make an appointment with a dermatologist. It sounds like if your skin isn't really oily that it will over dry it? His skin is soooo oily it's crazy. He does need something to help him get in a routine, so maybe if anything that will help. Thanks ladies!!
    MrsLeftlane

Comment by MrsLeftlane (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It didn't work for me. Actually, it made my acne worse.

Only thing that I've found that works for me is at night, making a paste with baking soda and water, spreading that on my face then rinsing it off. Then following up with a light moisturizer. In the morning I wash my face with Ivory soap. It's really helped a lot, more than anything else I've tried.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:14 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It worked for me but not my son. We tried all kinds of over the counter medications but nothing worked well, so we've taking him to a dermatolagist. I hope it works for your daughter, the stuff we're using now is expensive, besides the medical bill ($50 for each visit). One of the creams alone is $75 (our insurance won't cover it)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 18, 2010