Job opportunity. Need Opinions. What would you do?

I have gotten pretty fusrated with my current job, you come in and you never know what you will be fussed at. It mainly family member here so they go and come as they please and it leaves us that are not family (2) there to take up the slack. This is a Law Firm. Everyday it is a new office policy, new complaint that we arent doing thing the way it should it be and so on. The head boss lady expects us to participate in everything she does such as community gatherings and etc. I got a job offer at another firm with same pay but with benefits, sick days, personal day, and holidays with pay. It is 20 minutes from my house and my current job is 45 mins from home. I really want to take the job but the hours is what has me held back. I currently work 8-2 and then 4-6 at home remotely, I get to pick up my kids from school not someone else. This new job I would work til 5pm and not have ability to work at home or pick my kids up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• sanity counts for alot. my experience with small, family-owned businesses like these is not good, and that's a huge understatement. there is not consideration (or at least not long-term) for the non-family/favorites. when it becomes inconvenient for the family members for you to keep your schedule, guess what, you won't. you can never get a fair ear or objective human resources treatment, they overstep their boundaries in the personal demand crap. it is not worth it in the end. that's my opinion. i have always stayed too long at places hoping that they will do the right thing but it never happens that way and in the end i get shit on for trying to be a good person. my vote is take the new job and don't look back.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Tough decision.....but if you are miserable at work it makes home more stressful...good luck! I would go with the closer job and possibly less stress.
    cancerfighter

Answer by cancerfighter at 10:55 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I personally, would take the job. It's closer, same pay and such, just a couple of more hours that you would have to be away from your kids, plus you wouldn't have to take your work home with you! I know it's a tough decision and only you can make it, and you are going to have to do what you feel is right in your heart, but I would take the new job.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'd probably take the job. Less stress at work means less stress at home.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• take it! if the kids are in school FT you need a sitter for like 2.5 hrs a day thats not a big deal..or a gf or something...I would totally take it
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• You need to ask yourself whether the hours are worth being miserable all the time. Sounds like the hours are the only downside to the new position. In your place, I would take it. You'll get used to the new schedule.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2010