OMG! Pyrex pie pan exploded in my oven while I was preparing for dinner guests! What would you have done?

So I was baking bread and the recipe calls for water to be poured into a separate pan to help steam the bread dough. I was in a hurry so I didn't think and poured cold water into a hot Pyrex pie pan and the thing exploded. It did not get in the bread and most of it fell between the crack where the door opens. So most fell into the drawer under the oven where I keep my baking sheets.
We were expecting company for dinner at any time, so I pushed what I could down the crack into the drawer and picked up the rest with tongs and pretended it never happened.

Would you have clean up the whole big mess even with your company arriving, or would you go with the out of sight out of mind?

We had a lovely dinner, but now I have to go clean it up... UGH!

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 10:55 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I agree with the others who said hide it and clean it up later. But I wouldn't have served the bread either. Pyrex is not fun when it explodes (we lost a 9x9 baking dish when someone turned on the stove element that it was sitting on, luckily no one got hurt but it was a mess to clean up).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:10 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would have worried about glass shards... I wouldn't have let anyone eat the Bread no matter what.. But I'm paranoid I guess when it comes to glass, and how little slivers could have gotten into the bread....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I would have done exactly the same thing as you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I probably would have done the same thing. They can't see it, so I can take care of it later, after everyone is gone. No one needs to be the wiser to my goof up. :)
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Definitely out of sight out of mind for the time being.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• As long as there wasn't glass on the floor, I would have done the same thing. Safety first!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:59 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• This happened to me. Only it wasn't cold water. You should NOT have served anything that was in the oven at the time, as glass shards aren't always visible. When the pyrex breaks, it appears to be in big, octagonal pieces, but there are still tiny, sand sized fragments.

Mine was on a lovely dish of chicken parm. I still don't know why it happened.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:59 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Ot of sight out of mind.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree as long as you can hide the mess and as long as there is no glass anyone can step in, you can certainly finish cleaning up later. Maybe just put a rug down by the oven in case there are shards you can't see.
    However I wouldn't have let anyone eat the bread, either, I would have tossed it.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• There was a full cookie sheet above the glass baking dish, so I was not worried about the bread. If it had been in a bread pan with where the glass could have landed on the bread, then I would have not served it either. The glass dish didn't explode all over it just broke all over the bottom of the oven. There were no glass shards in the bread.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Oct. 18, 2010