been married 2 years and getting a divorce

does anyone know how property will be divided? I have not worked the whole time. I have student debt, we have credit card debt (25k) and the house we live in he bought prior to our marriage.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Relationships

• it will depend on the terms you agree to with your husband in the divorce decree
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Find out if you live in a community property state. I do, and when I left my ex we made a deal. Since I legally owned half interest in the house, and we both racked up our credit card debt, I would sign over my rights to the house in exchange for him taking over the debts. But you may be on your own with the student loan debt. Definitely talk to a lawyer....
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 1:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Any kids???
    Anonymous

• ask a lawyer 1st consultation is usually free,,good luck,,,
    seexxymama4u2me

Answer by seexxymama4u2me at 1:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Uhm.. I am pretty sure that the student loan debt is all yours, as far as the credit card- Its prolly the responsibility of whoevers name it is in, if both names you will need to split this. The home, well it will prolly be a split debt. I know that I have seen in the past that it has been whos name is in what pays that debt., but you two can make deals to decide who pays what so that it is all even. Just don't fight and make the whole process ugly, then it can be a real pain in the butt! Good luck!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Laws differ from state to state. In California, whatever you acquire "during" the marriage you split 50/50. Whatever you already had is yours. However that can be decided amongst the two of you in the divorce settlement. When you file, you can state your desires. He can either agree, contest or you can negotiate. Nothing is set in stone. My Ex and I bought a house while we were married, but he didn't bother to show up for court so I got the house. Good luck!
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2008