Do you think people lie when asked how much weight they've gained so far in a pregnancy?

I'm in a few pregnancy groups and evey so often someone will post the question about how much weight you've gained so far, and it seems to me that most of the women are like 'I'm 36 weeks and have gained only 10 pounds!'. I mean come on now... I've gained 10 pounds just in my boobs and I'm only 29 weeks!

Do you think there is a stigma attached to gaining weight during pregnancy and that we feel like if we admit to others that we've gained the reccomended weight or even more that we'll be looked down upon? Or am really I the only person in the world who gains 25 pounds or more during pregnancy?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:59 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I definitely feel like people look down on you or question why if you gain alot during pregnancy. I feel like people are not always honest about it, or they are just not making healthy decisions when pregnant. I don't understand how you can only gain 10 or 15lbs. I agree with SleepingBeautee, I think people are in denial about how much they gain, or maybe skew the numbers a bit. I'm not ashamed to admit I gained 50lbs with my first. I lost it all pretty fast afterwards.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I'm sure some people lie. Weight is a sensitive issue for a lot of people... I only gained 22 lbs with my first pregnancy, but was overweight to begin with. I kept my diet pretty similar to pre-pregnancy, but i DID stop drinking beer... I think that helped me keep my calorie count down! (i know that totally makes me sound like an alcoholic but my husband and I were both working in the restaurant business and it was typical for us to go out for beers with coworkers after work a few times a week). This time I've gained like 12ish so far at 23 wks. Hoping to keep it down again. I'm short and weigh too much already...
    Lauren1029

Answer by Lauren1029 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I think it's kind of rude to ask, and yes, everyone lies. The rule is, add twenty.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:02 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• There is definitely a stigma! I am sure a lot of them do, but they are only fooling themselves, hey hun, I gained 50 pounds with each of my three pregnancies!!! you are not alone!

Answer by older at 11:02 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I gained 70 with my first son (ugh), and 35 with my second and I really had to work to only gain that 35. I think some people lie and some don't just like with anything else :0). I think your doing great with having gained 25. Good luck.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:02 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Maybe, lol. I gained 50 lbs during my pregnancy. Luckily, I lost 47 of it within weeks of the baby being born. It was much more embarrassing to admit before I knew I'd lose most of it, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• i was happy i was so big but once i got to 40 pounds i started to lie! in truth i gained 60 pounds while i was pregnant but i have lost all the weight so no big deal! so yes people lie!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• That's the one time I AM honest about the weight that I gained. I have no problem admitting how much weight I've gained during my pregnancy- it any other wieght that I've gained that I lie about =)
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• no your not the only one. i also gained 10lbs in my boobs lol lots of people lie which i dont understand because we're pregnant. we're suppose to be enjoying thins beautiful time and not focusing on insignificant things such as weight gain. im 25 weeks and i already gained about 25lbs. and i still have about 2 and half months to go. im not too worried about it, as long as my baby is healthy im good. so in other words im RoCKiN da BeLLy with PRIDE lol so dont worry so much hun, enjoy it!! :-) **TaKe CaRe**
    joymoon87

Answer by joymoon87 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I never felt the need to lie. I was happy with "only" gaining 30 lbs my first time around, lol (I say only because I ate like a pig and had a major sweet tooth). And I would have preferred to gain more than 17 my second time if it meant I'd have been able to eat.

But in our society, any weight gain is stigmatized, regardless of whether there's a good reason, like pregnancy. You only ever see celebrities with these cute little "baby bumps" that look like they just padded their stomachs. No one wants to gain anywhere else, like breasts (a few exceptions there for small-breasted women who are eager for larger ones), legs, butts, etc. And with no one able to see through their computer screen...why not make themselves feel a bit better about it.

You're definitely not the only one, though. They call it "average" weight gain for a reason. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:18 AM on Oct. 18, 2010