Switching to a a different formula after Similac recall.

My brother's 6 month old was on the similac that was recalled, and since then he and his wife are having a heck of a time finding the formula anywhere. Are there any good alternative formula's to the Similac advance with iron? I'm of no help really as I breastfed but hoping someone on here would have some advice for me to give to them =) Thank you!

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 11:05 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use Parent's Choice Premium. It has the triple benefit DHA and it compares to the regular Enfamil (PC is $12, Enfamil is $24 I think?). My son has been on Parent's Choice since 4 months old and has had no problems. And once they start drinking 6-7ozs, you go through 1 can every 5-6 days the most.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Wal-Mart makes a Parent's Choice that is just like Similac
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Enfamil, Good Start, just look in the grocery store.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:07 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My baby was Similac Advance, we switched to Enfamil Premium Lipil - it's in a gold can. I was told by the people at WIC that it was pretty much the same thing. He had a little gas at first when we switched, but he does just fine on it now.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• After a few months of BF that didn't go that well, we used Enfamil Lipil w/ Iron. I like that it's high in DHA for healthy brain development, and I think it mixes better than Similac. Everyone has different preferences, but I'm sure most of the other store brands are fine too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We use store brand.

All formulas are pretty much the same.  The baby shouldn't have that much trouble adjusting to something different.  We rarely buy the same brand twice in a row.  We either get Target, Parent's Choice or the Safeway brand depending on where we are and the Safeway one isn't even the same kind as the other two.  At Target and Wal-mart we get the "Gentle" formula (which is like Enfamil Gentlease).  At Safeway we gets "senstitive" which is lactose free but it's all they have.  We only get Safeway when we are desperate.  He spits up more on the Safeway stuff but otherwise he has no problem taking any of them.  This last time I even got some ready to eat Similac AR (prethickened stuff) because it was on sale and he just eats it.  He's 3 months.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We use the Similac ready to feed and it was not on the recall. . That may be another option if your brother does not want to switch brands.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 1:21 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Similac has a liquid Ready to feed. it used to be around $6 a bottle but Similac has brought the price down to about $3.50 per bottle because the powder is hard to find. I didnt want to switch brands because we had such a hard time finding a formula that my son did well on. We now use the ready to feed, it is easier to find available at walmart or Target. I use the coupon checks for $5 when I purchase my formula and pay almost nothing.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Costco brand formula has the exact same ingredients and daily % numbers as similac sensitive. I remember because I didn't realize it until my son was off of formula and was annoyed that I could have been saving money the entire time....
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010