my chickens don't look good

I have 3 chickens. They're pretty much just pets. They roam around the yard and roost in the barn at night. I have had them for about 2.5 years now. They don't like their chicken food....they always want to eat the cats food instead but their feathers just don't look nice and neat anymore. They were going through their molting thing but it seems like they still look funky. Anyone out there have chickens and advice? Thanks a bunch.

RentaMom

Asked by RentaMom at 1:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pets

• Have you put out any insecticide? I had chickens in Ohio and some ate ant poision. But this time of year they should have all thier molting over. Ck thier bodies for lice. Sometimes they can get them. Try putting out your scrap food from left overs , mine loved that. But thier chicken feed should contain scratch in it. It has sand like stuff that helps them digest thier food. Do you have a vet you could call for your chickens? Sometimes they can be helpful too. Good luck and I hope they get better.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:52 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I want a pet chicken!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Their fine,

Honestly they are,
    My aunt has a farm her goes thru this every season,

I think its the TURKEY day that gets them all RUFFLED UP haha

Just so we dont forget their not on the menu!

Im kidding,
    Anonymous

• I do love my "chicken babies" as I call them....I have to admit, I realized the other day what a freak parade we are though. Every morning when I get up, I go feed before anything else. Which in the winter looks like beetlejuice hair, a night gown with sweats, a jacket and my boots with the cat leading the way to the barn, then me, then the chicken babies waddling as fast as they can behind me. I did look at them closely yesterday and it's mainly my hen that looks kinda haggard. I didn't see any mites or scalyness so I am wondering if the rooster is just wearing her out. I'll keep a close eye on them.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Yes we have three chickens do you give them vitamins evey time we change the water we add the vitamins but we raise our chikens we check on them a lot .Im curious though is your rooster loud mine is not loud and does not wake us up in the morning that's weird does yours do that.We don't live on a farm though we built an enmours cage for them so they can run free we don't have them confined in a space and we have our dogs on the other side of the house it a huge back yard.can't wait till we buy our farm I epect in about five years.Just trying to save up .
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 6:19 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Monica~ My chickens and the barn cat and whatever else roams by to get a drink, share the same little water thing. It's one of those that you fill up, tip over and it refills as needed. I don't put anything in the water just because the chickens aren't the only ones using it. As far as the rooster..we have 2 and they "compete" with the roosters across the 13 acre field to the other neighbor...so yeah...they love being loud! :-) Maybe some breeds of chickens aren't as vocal as others??
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:37 AM on Nov. 6, 2008