took my LO in for her 2 month check up. the doc says she is in the 25th % for head size. she apparently has a small head. what does this mean? is it bad? should i be worried?

lovinsophie

Asked by lovinsophie at 1:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it was bad then her doctor would have addressed it before you left. My dd's head is off the charts! lol Her head is over the 100% mark. She has fluid on the brain but shes fine and it will absorb on its own. So if your that worried then bring it up at her next visit. But if the doc didnt seem concerned then let it go. She is still soo tiny and new and everything will catch up!! :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• try not to worry--as Steph319 noted, your doctor would tell you if there were cause for concern.

i really hate those growth charts, and how they tell you every visit what percentile your child is in for the height/weight/head, etc. it causes such unnecessary worry for parents...i mean, if the child is generally healthy and shows normal development signs, what difference does it make what percentile she's in for head size? children all grow at very different rates and in different ways. when any parent hears their kid is below the average on some factor, it causes anxiety. it's all so unnecessary.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• So long as she is hitting her milestones she'll be fine, it's nothing to worry about.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 1:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• took my daughter in for her 2 month and was told she was in the 8th% for head. by 4 months she was near the 50th just give it some time...Im sure itll all work out =D
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Our doctor doesn't even tell me what percentiles he's in, mostly so we don't get obsessed with numbers. If I want to know I look it up on my own.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• That just means that 25 % of kids have smaller heads than your daughter and 75% have larger heads. Don't worry.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Look, my entire freakin pregnancy I was told my water fluid was low, the baby's head was too big, this that,, blah blah blah.... I had my baby three days after she was due, she needed major surgery, now she is 100% healed and awesome. AND tiny... 13.5 pound at 7 months. The doctor told me as long as the baby is reaching her milestones on time (mine has been reaching them early) there IS NO WORRY. I sometimes think doctors go out of their way to scare the crap out of us as new mothers.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 3:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Like everyone else said, you shouldnt worry about it. My son is on the small size for his age anywhere between 5%-25% in everything I think. As long as she's growing and developing normally there's nothing to worry about.
    LadyUsagi

Answer by LadyUsagi at 4:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My ped said that they're usually a little behind on one measurement, but as long as they're hitting milestones on time then they're fine.
    Sarabear35

Answer by Sarabear35 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2008