Why do people not understand that it is WAY easier to wash dishes if you rinse them off just after they've been used?

I live with my boyfriend and we eat a lot of spaghetti, hamburger helper, and all kinds of stuf that would just rinse right off the plate when its still warm, (we even have a garbage disposal) but instead they just pile them up letting everything dry and crust over so you have to scrub it before u can put it in the dishwasher.

Savage640

Asked by Savage640 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• This is a big pet peeve of mine too!! I like to rinse them off immediately and put them in the dishwasher. Even if something has to be hand washed, I like to at least rinse it off first. I always think my DH has done something nice by picking up our dishes from the table after dinner, and then I just find them sitting in the sink (not rinsed off) when I get up and he's already moved on to something else.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• B/c they don't have to do it!!! lol My boyfriend soaks them instead of rinsing them and lets them sit and he gets this werid smell in his house.... it's NASTY!!! I don't live with him I live with my mom and she just tosses her stuff up by the sink napkin and all.... they just do it b/c they know they don't have to do them!!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree they do it because they are not the ones that have to scrub off the big nasty, stinky mess. It seems to me to be time to go on a dish washing strike. :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:34 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Laziness, why make it easy for someone else to wash the dishes? My kids have learned the hard way, they are the ones in charge of the dishes now.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:44 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It's laziness. My husband used to get on me about that soo bad. And now he doesn't even do it.
    Influence I guess. It's a bad habbit to get into.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:56 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• It is laziness, and because they can get away with it, and they only have to listen to your complaints. Easier than rinsing them off. I solved this in my house by saying that no dishes could be left in the sink. They had to be rinsed off and put away, an no one leaves the kitchen until it's cleaned. When I explained that it made me feel like I was the maid cleaning up after them, they gave me a look like wasn't that what I was supposed to do? I guess they thought that because I had been doing it. We're all in this together. There was some mumbling at first, but then we all got in the habit of doing it. Works great now. I love seeing my clean sink. Oh, give lots of praise.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My husband does that with oatmeal and fruity pebbles. He won't rinse the bowl and it is near impossible to get those things off the side of the bowl once they dry up. It drives me crazy!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• mine did that too..especially my room mates son...i stopped washing dishes and they freaked because they didnt have clean dishes..and i said that if they couldnt take the time to rinse them i didnt have time to wash them...they learned really quick

ETA: my room mate is also my exboyfriend and my childrens dad.. We just get along better not dating...lol
    Houstyn08

Answer by Houstyn08 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I know! we don't have a dishwasher, and my husband would get really mad if I soaked the dishes, yet he wouldn't rinse them off either.
    So we just made the deal that I'd take care of other things and he could do the dishes.
    a few weeks of dealing with dried oatmeal and cheese seems to have changed his mind.
    Now the deal is that I drain out the soaking water if they are going to stay in the sink all night.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• That's why the dishes are done at my house as soon as we get done eating. We don't have a dishwasher, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand there and scrub crusty old food off plates.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2010