Grocery store nightmare

I will never take my children to a grocery store again. it was a tragedy. They wanted everything even threw tantrum's when they could'nt have what they wanted. I was so embarresed i wanted to run and hide. People must have thought we were crazy.Next time i'm taking them to Ganma's house.

lissac315

Asked by lissac315 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have also walked out of there feeling like that. I find I can't take both kids. Just one and they are fine. Also, if they are hungry, forget it. If I have to take both, I give them a bagel and bribe them like crazy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:34 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Good way to handle it, not giving in, and telling them you're leaving them with grandma next time. them when they learn to behave in a store, you'll take them. Tell them what you expect of them when they go to a store, and what will happen if they misbehave. Get all of your necessary groceries first, so if they start acting up, you can quickly pay and leave the store. You didn't buy their favorite cereal? Well, they will just have to have toast or oatmeal. If they behave let them pick out something-like would they like macaroni & cheese or spaghettios. do these things depending on their ages. I used to let me boys have two choices (Meaning bananas or apples, rice or noodles) and they could pick one thing (it was usually little Debbie cakes) If they started whining or asking for something else-the Little Debbie Cades went back on the shelf and we left the store. It may take time, but it will be worth it.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I remember those days...a couple of ideas...give them a snack that keeps their mouths busy while there. Give them a list of things to help you buy....make them part of the experience. They can check off the list as you go. WHen youdo take them...make sure they are full...create a treasure hunt....kind of like Where is Waldo? I have 3 ...1 year apart each of them..horrible experiences....in the car we took roller coaster ride experiences....i look back, as do they, and we laugh!
    Keri1969

Answer by Keri1969 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• is this all the time or just this one time? I think it would be wrong to cater to the tantrums by taking them to grandmas. You need to teach them proper behavior not avoid teaching them.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• My daughter has done that to me before and this what i did i throw one rite back even if i had to fall out on the floor and have peoplelooking at me crazy. did that and she has had that problem no more and now we go to the store and she ask for grapes and apples and corn so i get her those kinds of things and then evryonce in a while something sweet.
    MissMandy25

Answer by MissMandy25 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't have a choice. We're military so no family in the area and DH works strange hours. I get the cart that has a car on it for my sons (3 and 5) and carry my infant daughter in a sling. We go after nap time and they geta snack before. Sleepy hungry kids and a store don't mix.
    BiloxiDreams

Answer by BiloxiDreams at 12:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I hear ya. I say that every time, but I still end up taking them with me. How will they learn to behave if I don't give them a chance to learn how to behave in the grocery store? They're not really bad, but they do get on my nerves. It's so much faster by myself.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I went through a period where I went once they were in bed for the night. They needed to learn that unless they can act nicely, they don't go in public. It passed and now for the most part they are good.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I told my DD when she was three (6 now) that we were going to go to the store to get the groceries we needed and if she was good, a Slim Jim. If she was bad, I told her we would leave and not buy anything. We went in, and five minutes into the trip she started acting out. I gave her one verbal warning, and when that didn't work I left the store. I went without her the next day, no Slim Jims. Next week I told her the same thing for the shopping trip and she was an angel. Whatever punishment you come up with for misbehavior, you must remain firm on it. Even if it means inconveniencing you temporarily.
    unicornnymph22

Answer by unicornnymph22 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2010